Heart palpitation with dizziness/feint feeling. Should I be concerned?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

About 6 months ago I started getting regular heart palpitations, like every hour, daily. A few months ago, my GP sent me for tests including bloodwork, ECG, 24 hour monitor, general examinations and nothing was found so said it was likely stress or induced by something else but either way nothing to worry about and I'm in good health. After experimenting with changes to lifestyle, I noticed that when I stopped drinking diet coke (I drank a can daily, sometimes two), my palpitations stopped completely. I had the odd one every week maybe but down to normal range.

The last couple of weeks I have been drinking diet coke again every night with dinner (I know, I shouldnt) and have been feeling fine until last night I was driving home and I had one of those palpitations which last a few seconds which made me feel dizzy and I thought I was going to feint. It was that horrible feeling when your head goes warm and you're about to drop. Anyway, I didnt and after 5-10 seconds I was fine. Havent had one since either....

Do you think I should be concerned? Previous tests not that long ago suggested I was fine but I think the whole feint/dizzy feeling just worried me slightly especially reading online when every site says its a concern if you feel faint or dizzy.

I am due to see a doc next week anyway and I am not touching that poison again. I just wanted some thoughts from other people.

Thanks

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Just to add, I am a 33 year old male, not overweight, moderately active with no history of any sort of illnesses.

• Posted

Ju,

Stop drinking coke, it is bad for you. All fizzy drinks are bad for you they are a can of chemicals. Drink water, if you need a fizzy drink occasionally buy a soda stream and add some juiced berries, squeeze a lemon or something you like. You can clean the toilet with coke, clean coins, it is not really safe to drink.

• Posted

Yeah I know. Think it just because became habit. Before I got into fitness 5 years ago , I was really overweight and drank alot of sugary drinks. I completely changed my diet and started drinking diet drinks instead. At the time you dont think of how harmful the chemicals are until you start getting problems!

So what do you think about my symptoms, anything to be concerned about right now?

• Posted

JU!

Have you had your sugar levels checked lately?

It might be worth checking to see if you have low or high sugar levels when you feel faint/dizzy.

• Posted

Hi Matt yes I have. I had the works done when i had all my bloods. Thing is, i felt dizzy/feint only for a few seconds then felt absolutely fine so doesn't really tie in with sugar levels. I do get low blood sugar symptoms and this feeling wasnt it.

• Posted

I get something similar with the heart palpitations here and there. I am constantly dizzy and i went to a ton of doctors and they just keep telling me its anxiety. but it freaks me out. I also feel a loss of balance, do you feel that as well? do you have generalized anxiety or panic disorder?

• Posted

oh really? I didnt experience any loss of balance but i was driving at the time so if i was stood up i could have possibly. i did have a palpitation today which was ok so perhaps the feint feeling i had the other day was a one off.

i have had anxiety in the past but i dont think its been bad recently unless it is without me realising...

• Posted

thats true. its crazy what anxiety does to us. I would say try to drink alot of water and i heard working out 30 mins a day even if its just walking is great for heart palpitations. they also say to cough when they happen but you have to ask your doctor before doing the cough thing, it stimulates a nerve i think and it stops the palpitations.

• Posted

Yeah ive heard that. Sometimes though they happen so quickly you couldnt cough in time hah! I dont mind palpitations as they dont happen that often now but the other day worried me after i read online that feint feeling could be a serious sign. Perhaps i should refrain from Google haha

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.