Heart palpitations and scared! please help

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello my name is Jenn and I am struggling with heart palpitations and it is causing a great deal of anxiety.  I already have an anxiety disorder so this is making it worse. Nine years ago I had a Echocardiogram and all was normal.  I went to a cardiologist three years ago and had a EKG and blood work all normal.  Dr said he thought it was anxiety.  I do have a lot of stress lately with family issues so I am feeling more high strung lately than usual, I am getting a fluttering feeling or missed beat not sure what you call it.  It has been happening a lot during the day and night.  I am scared out of my mind.  I have no other symptoms but this..could someone please give me some advice

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello Jennifer,

I know your anxiety. I have had palpitations on and off for several years. Over months, they seem to happen more often... some days are pretty good, and other days they seem to happen very frequently. Those are the days that really depress me. I had a stress test several months ago and that came out just fine. I talked to my cardiologist about the palpitations and he told me that my EKG was fine... but since I was concerned about the frequent heart palpitations, he sent me home with a holter monitor. I had to wear this thing for a month. Basically it is an EKG type unit with wires plugged into 5 or 6 electrodes on your chest. A device I wore around my neck - even at night in bed. I could take the thing off to shower, then put it back on. When I had an episode of the skipped beats or the palpitations, I could press a button on the device around my neck and It would mark that point in time for a closer look. So after the month, I sent the unit back in... and my follow up with the cardiologist was fine. He told me that they are called PVC's - I think he said pre ventrical contractions and they are nothing to worry about. Although they can drive my crazy when they happen often. He told me that many things can cause them... certain foods, too spicy, or eating too late in the evening, alcohol, too much salt, caffeine, too much sugar etc. So I try to pay more attention to when I get these terrible episodes to see if I can figure out what causes them. I also have anxiety pretty frequently - and it seem like it is for more specific reason. I think about it and I have much to be thankful for and to be happy about, but sometimes I wake up in the morning just feeling depressed... over nothing. And of course if the palpitations start, it makes my depression worse. I started taking magnesium too. Today was a good day... I worked a lot outside in the yard doing some projects. My cardiologist told me to eat less salt, stop worrying, drink more water and get more exercise - so I am trying to do that. I continue to try to figure out what the trigger for them is - and avoid that. At least we can all talk to each other and people will understand what we go through. The next time you see a cardiologist - I'll bet they will tell you that they are harmless... and for a while you feel better just knowing all is okay.

• Posted

Hello Charles, I can’t thank you enough for your informative and comforting reply.  It is so wonderful that we have this site to turn to.  I really appreciate you sharing your story.  I am a fairly high strung person which doesn’t help things like this.  Anxiety can be crippling.  I will follow your advice and especially get more excercise.  Thank you so much ! I will probably still see a cardiologist to make 100% sure I’m ok, but at least now I’m not scared to death. 
  • Posted

I went to an acupuncturist a couple of weeks ago for the palpitations. A very interesting session I had with her. She used to be an emergency room nurse, but retired from that. She went to California and got training in eastern medicine and acupuncture. My first and only session so far - we sat and had a lengthy discussion of my general health issues. The main one and the reason for my visit was the heart palpitations. After about an hour talking with her, she gave me my first acupuncture session. No pain at all, and actually it was very relaxing. The needles stayed in for about 15 minutes. She recommended several vitamin supplements for me to try that were specifically for the heart. Most were various vitamin B supplements. Also magnesium which I had been taking. I found a different form of magnesium with 3 forms of magnesium. I didn't know there were different forms. This one is specific for calming the heart... so I will see how it works. It is so frustrating when these things happen to me. I can't seem to determine what triggers them. Some days they are few to none, then other days they are frequent and cause much anxiety.  I am taking 2 of the magnesium tablets a day as of 2 days ago... so I'll see how it goes.

• Posted

Hey Jennifer85,

I just wanted to see how the magnesium is working for you. I started having  palpitations about four months ago and I am going crazy. I am thinking about trying magnesium myself. I heard that you should also take calcium along with it. Could you let me know if it is working for you.

Thanks

Kim

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.