Heart Palpitations and Shortness of Breath

Posted , 2 users are following.

Let me start off by saying that I'm an otherwise healthy 24 year old female. I've been having heart palpitations since the beginning of September. My heart feels like it's skipping beats and I also get short of breath. It only lasts for maybe 30 seconds but it's a scary feeling, especially with how short of breath I get. Sometimes it will happen multiple times in a row and other times it only happens once. It's happened roughly 20-25 times since the beginning of September. It most often occurs when I'm just sitting/laying down watching TV or on my phone, nothing stressful happening and I don't drink pop/caffeinated drinks (haven't for years). I looked it up online and it says that most heart palpitations are harmless so I initially blew it off and wasn't too worried. But about a week and a half ago while at work I became very dizzy/light headed while having the heart palpitations on and off. On top of that, what really worried me today is that twice while at work I had heart palpitations but this time I felt it deep in my upper middle abdomen and it took my breath away worse than normal. I feel like I should go to the doctor but am afraid I will be essentially blown off because I'm young and otherwise healthy. Any thoughts on possible causes?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Are you getting any chest pains? Are you on the combined contraceptive pill?

• Posted

I will get chest pains but not at the same time as the heart palpitations and shortness of breath. I am not on oral birth control, I have the nexplanon implant in my arm.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.