Heart palpitations // Anxious!!! Any help?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello! I'm 17 and just recently started feeling palpitations more often. I noticed them more when I would go on walks. They usually feel like a pause, and then a bigger thump, a fluttering feeling, or a skipped beat. They're really scary and I panic every time I feel them, though I can still feel them sometimes when I think I'm relaxed. I recently went to a cardiologist, who did a brief ECG and the results came back normal. They had said palpitations can be related to stress and anxiety, and even if they did pick up on a palpitation like the ones I'm describing, they don't treat them. They gave me some stress management tips and told me to try magnesium. They also said that they didn't want to do an echocardiogram because they're expensive and it's a lot of money to spend for finding something normal. They also said it wouldn't be dangerous to exercize. I've been scared to start exercizing again because I'm afraid I'll feel them again or they'll get worse. I get scared I'll have chest pains or feel like I can't breathe, and when I panic I can sometimes have those sensations and not know the difference between a real problem and anxiety. I know I should be comforted by hearing that everything looks normal but all I feel is panicky and constantly worried that something is wrong that I don't know about, or that something really bad could happen. I don't really know what to do. Anything to help me feel more comforted? Thank you so much! ❤️

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

hey! ive been going through the EXACT same thing since i was 14 and i am now 22. sometimes i get the really hard beat and sometimes it feels like a flutter in my chest. it makes me terrified since they happen so randomly. I have had 20 ECGs, 3 X rays of my heart, 3 echocardiograms, and even a stress test and all normal. i get so scared

• Posted

Woah, That's a lot of tests. Can I ask you something? I feel crazy for it, but if you put your hand over your heart when they're happening can you really feel it? I can sometimes. I used to sit down with a stethescope and listen to my heart for a long time, and when they happen I can actually hear extra beats. I really want to feel comforted by the tests I took but I guess I just worry a lot. I want to do the echo and stress test just to make sure but I worry that it will be a lot of money to say that I'm normal; it's not that I've never in my life felt a skipped beat before, but they started happening a lot more frequently and noticiably than before. How do you manage your anxiety when they happen?

• Posted

Yep there have been times where the fluttering in my chest lasts a few seconds and I put my finger on my pulse and feel it irregular and beating weird. It scares the crap out of me. To be honest, I still am trying to find ways to cope with this. It is such a scary feeling and it makes me think that one day I will just drop down dead

• Posted

I understand that. I actually just had a spell of them. They make me feel crazy. The pause and the stronger thump afterwards makes me feel so scared.

• Posted

It feels like a fluttery feeling I guess, along with a very physical pause and then big thump. My heart rate will be normal if I count it, between 60-100 (just over 100 if I'm anxious). Less noticable palpitations feel like a little pause and bigger thump, but less prominent. When I walk or move around too vigoruously or do vigorous exericize is when I feel them the most and when I feel the biggest thumps. I don't really get the racing heart type of palpitations; only really the pause thump ones. There can be long periods of time where I don't feel them and periods of time where I can definitely feel them and they'll happen more often. They can kinda make me feel winded when they happen, but it isn't neccesarily difficult to breathe like I said. I tried to be as descriptive as possible for you : )

• Posted

Thats how mine feel, but i dont usually get them when im working out or active. They just happen randomly throughout the day like once or twice. I just had an episode 😦

• Posted

It's a really good sign if you don't get them when working out! They're really scary 😦 that's how it is for me sometimes; they happen randomly once or twice throughout the day. sometimes I feel them more when doing certain things though. they get even worse when I panic too. Hopefully we can both seek help for the anxiety we feel.

• Posted

Did they do any blood tests on you?

Myself had problems with palpitations turn out I had thyroid problems but before that they said it was normal and I was just feeling stressed. The first times they only did ekg and listened to the heart but it was normal. Took a few years until someone listened and I could get help for the thyroid and got betablockers 😃

• Posted

I just did a blood test today haha. I guess we'll see the results soon so...I'm not quite sure yet what that'll tell me. So far I guess I've been feeling better...? I haven't gone for a walk yet so I don't know. I have noticed though that the more I think about them the more they happen or seem to happen, so I'm not necessarily surprised to hear that it might be an anxiety issue. I guess I have yet to be completely reassured but I'm hoping for the best 😃

• Posted

Update!! Just went for a walk. I felt them, and they felt like individual biggg thumps in my chest and they can happen multiple in a minute. I've gotten in the anxious habit of randomly taking deep breaths to check my breathing and I noticed them the most when I did that (they would happen even when I didn't do that though) They're scary, and I can even feel them in my throat sometimes :0 No other symptoms though; no dizziness, not really any shortness of breath except for the kinda winded feeling that comes when your heart thumps hard. I guess calming myself down kinda helps? They still worry me though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.