Heart palpitations - dozens per hour

Posted , 6 users are following.

Last night I had something scary happen. I've had palpitations for years, by usually it's only a few per day. I've had my heart checked by echocardiogram, holter, blood tests, EKG, MRI. 

Everything is always normal. 

Well last night I had a small margarita and settled down to watch some tv before bed. 

Then my heart started fluttering. It would feel like a flutter or strong beat. When I felt my pulse it almost seemed like it skipped a beat then would have a really strong beat. 

This happened dozens of times per hour for at least 2 hours. I clocked it and I was getting a palpitation anywhere from every 2 seconds to every minute. Usually averaging about one every 10 seconds. Each palpitation only lasted a second or less. 

I had no other symptoms: didn't feel pain or lightheaded. Pulse was slightly elevated for me (was around 80 bpm) 

Eventually I thought it could be from dehydration so I drank 2 gatorades then that's when it began to dwindle and eventually stop. I've been awake about an hour and haven't had any today. 

What's up with this? Do I need to see my dr about this?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You can see the doctor, but unfortunately this is still in the range of "don't worry about it".  Well, it's IMPOSSIBLE not to worry about it!  But it sounds like something I've lived with on and off for years now.  It has to get MUCH worse before the average doctor will consider it actionable.

If you're worried, go get another EKG, wear the Holter again, or event monitor, just to make sure, but that's almost certainly how it comes out.  "Ectopic beats", PVCs, etc.

Eating often helps.  Change position - if you're sitting stand up, if you're standing, sit down.  A cold drink may help.  A snack may help.  Going to the toilet may help.

If you're not already on any meds, a small dose of beta blocker may help.

Watch your electrolytes.  Watch out for some spicy food that may trigger it.  Check your blood pressure. 

Apparently it's not all that dangerous and lots of people do experience it.

• Posted

Dear asleigh

Like you I have suffered palpitations for years. Had all.the tests monitors ecg etc all come back normal. I then started to have ectopic beats which would come every few seconds then go away. Have you given up caffeine and chocolate and fizzy drinks. I had to do all this. I only drink ruebush tea. Also if u eat liquorice this has an ingredient in it which causes the heart to skip beats. Sounds like you are experiencing ectopics. If this is worrying you then ask for a monitor to be put inside your chest and the hospital can pick up whats happening to you by having a phone monitor at home that you activate when it happens . I don't know where you like but I am in London and am under hammersmith hospital. Hope all this helps. Ann

• Posted

Hi,

Do not eat sugar, or high carbs. Or do not drink alcohol. Or maybe caffeine. I know sounds boring but, This will all subside once you eliminate those. 

• Posted

Ashleigh,

It sounds like it might have been the Margarita. Alcohol can trigger those terrible PVC's. I don't usually drink, but on occasion I will have something alcoholic to drink, and sometimes that will trigger the irregular beats. And then sometimes they don't. But drinking alcohol can trigger them, so if you do have the occasional drink, try to drink lots of water too. Alcohol can cause dehydration which is another trigger for the ectopic beats. The main thing is try not to worry yourself into a panic. Most likely nothing to worry about. But it is always good to mention these things to your doctor... just to let them know about them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.