Heart Palpitations during exercise

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I'm a cyclist (ride about 300km a week and race) and I've started having palpitations during exercise. Some feel like they are happening almost in a row but I think there is a normal beat between them. They only occur on some rides and at about 70% max heart rate (150bpm)my heart rate monitor shows my pulse rate to remain constant. Does that rule out ventricular tachycardia? Should I be worried? Started off as just a few palps but now it usually lasts about 10 seconds! No other symptoms apart from that I can feel it beating off in my chest. Tried to feel my pulse when it was happening and felt normal-ish but I was cycling at the same time so couldn't feel it very well. Any help is appreciated

Danny

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Edited

Hi Dan,

I think you need to be checked out by a cardiologist, it sounds like you are having exe induced ectopics. You might need a 24hr ECG to get more evidence of the type of Arrythmias you are having. As you know some are dangerous and some are not, best if you find out now. Let me know how you get on. Good luck. Glynis x

ps i have an infection in my heart that has led to lots of Arrythmias so I understand how it feels, don't think you have the same but check it out.

• Edited

Thanks for the reply! I have had a previous Holter monitor and echo and all came back fine! The only difference is that I'm having more in a row and not just one! Might have another checkup just to be safe!

Cheers,

Danny

• Edited

Hi Dan

im currently in the same boat. I've had echoes, holters and ECGs am I. Told they are begnin ectopic beats. However still very scary, I have live with them for 11 years now. I get PVCs and PACs daily both fell different. The PAC feel is like a flutter and the PVC like apause and a big thud. I have been noticing they have increased during my exercise recently and I have no idea why, In fact the other day I had a run that when of for a while mid exercise that it sacred me, it often causes anxiety and did on this occasion. I finished training and have been anxious over it all week now.

im told by docs don't worry and do what you want however I feel if I push too hard it will go horribly out of sync.

• Edited

It's even worse for me as out on the bike I'm constantly pushing near my max heart rate! I only get the palpitations when I'm 30 beats off my max though! Will try feel what the ectopic beats are next time it happens, I was wondering why I get like 10 palpitations in a minute then none for the rest of the ride?! I read somewhere that there was no correlation between PVCs during exercise and health issues though
    • Edited

I was told the same Dan in fact only this morning. I was told the thing to watch was anything sustained. like a long run of palps without let up not the singles thumps, bumps, flutters and general wobbles. I had read about issues re palps during the recovery phase but non of the experts i see seem to worry about that either. as long as you have been checked out and the structure of your heart is fine then they call them begnin ectopic beats.

Its just your mind you have to convince then, 11 years later im still trying to comvince my mind. it has freaked me out enough that i dont go out riding anymore just incase it kicks off when im in the middle of nowhere.

• Edited

Yeh seems like as long as there's nothing structurally wrong then you're fine! Guess I'm just scared of some sort of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, which is what it seems most of the athletes these days have cardiac arrests due too! Yeh mine usually last about 15 or less seconds and its very hard to determine if I have a string of them in a row or if theres a few normal beats in between! I would guess the latter! It's just odd that I have them all (about 8 I guess) in a short 15 second period!
    • Edited

Hi Dan,

Have you looked into seeing an "electrical" cardiologist. They can do specific  investigations to see which part of the heart muscle is triggering the extra 

beats and can sometimes get rid of them using laser. Ablation is the solution for some people.Take care, 

Glynis

• Edited

Dan, 300 km a week is dangerous I think. By getting fit you are endangering your health. Long distance running is equally bad for you. The further you go the worse the consequences can be. Two groups of people aquire atrial fibrilation, athletes who overdo training and the obese.  Athletes who keep overtraning who are under 30 years of age are at risk for heart fibrillations later in life even if they give up on racing. If you want to keep fit without dangers then concentrat on strong muscles by practicing super slow high intensity exercises. Thus you will have lots of free time not riding your bike. 
  • Posted

Hi guys! I hope you all are OK 7 years later.

And I was very much hoping to hear if any of you solved the palpitations Mystery?

I have these for last 15 years. Lately they are too annoying. Had to call ambulance today after work out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.