Heart palpitations in 5yr old

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi,

my 5yr old daughter has been complaining of heart palpitations for over a year now,

she says her hearts beating fast and when i place my hand on her chest i can feel it,

her pulse is around 90-100

while its happening and is is usually around the same when its not happening.

her heart rate is around 80-95 while sleeping.

shes had a echocardiogram which was normal and a 30 day advent recorder which also must have been normal as ive not had the results but was told thats good news.

the palpitations can go away for 2-3 months then out of no where come back daily.

she also suffers headaches daily and has had a mri which was also normal blood work also normal,

she also gets pins and needles alot.

id be grateful of any information as im worried out of my mind and live in fear .

thankyou in advance

Lynsey x

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

does she get palpitations and headaches more when it is hot? It could be that she may get dehydrated if she doesn't drink enough fluids. My friends son used not to drink much in the day and at the end of the day he would get palpitations.

Another thing is she could be sensitive to sugar in in food or drinks. Have you had her blood sugar levels tested? Ask to get a fasting glucose test for her just to check there is not a problem.

• Posted

thanks for responding to my post .

she does get headaches on hot days but then she has them most days,

she drinks alot of fluids too.

i too have been wondering if it could be something to do with blood sugar levels

but she has blood tests repeated every 4-5 months when she her appointment with a pediatrician at a local childrens hospital would these blood test check her sugar levels?

she has full blood count tests.

thanks again for your advice x

• Posted

how old was your friends son if you don't mind me asking please?

• Posted

there is a glucose tolerance test it takes about 2-3 hours, they take blood then give a sweet drink then test the blood a couple of times after in intervals. She may not have diabetes but she may be insulin resistant. It is worth asking about.

There is another possibility it could be a food intolerance or allergy. Stomach problems can sometimes affect heart rates.

My friends son I think was about 7.

• Posted

Thankyou very much for that information

i will ask if that bloodtest can be done at are next visit in around a months time.

Also the fact that your friends child has suffered palpatations with out having a heart problem has lowered my anxierty slightly!

thankyou once again

x

• Posted

hay kids do have a slightly faster heart rate than us so for adults between 60 & 100 bpm is deemed normal I think in your little girls case between 75 & 115 bpm (check that) would be deemed as normal sounds like she's had some pretty advanced tests it's good that they have all come back normal but not good that she has all those nasty symptoms at her age bless her has anyone dome a simple stand test with her by that I mean a test for POTS it's not unusual in young girls but not many doctors are aware of it for reasons that are beyond me =/ look it up on the pots uk website it's something you can check out at home before taking it to a doctor hope she feels better soon.

• Posted

Hi,

Thankyou very much for the information on pots

i have never heard of the condition

and i read up as you suggested on pots uk

There is definitely similarity to my daughters symptoms so i will definitely be asking for a stand test when we have her next appointments also its a relief to know theres conditions with the heart

out there that are not always life threating.

Thankyou so much once again

appreciated very much

x

• Posted

your welcome, I hope your little girl feels better soon. =)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.