Heart palpitations?? PERIMENOPAUSE REALLY SCARED

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello this is Jenn, I'm 51 and have been told by my gyno that I am in Perimenopause.  Horrible symptoms, really hard time.  I have been having heart fluttering, and an awareness of my heart beating.  I keep taking my blood pressure and taking my pulse frantically .  My friend who is younger then me was just hospitalized with congestive heart failure.  She was short of breath, swollen, couldn't walk and collapsed on the train going to work.  She was told she had a mild heart attack and needs a stent put in.  She was so hysterical she had to be sedated.   Since this happened I don't know if it's my anxiety and stress over it, or something is wrong.  I have had blood tests and heart tests done, always normal.  But, I think I will go to another cardiologist to get checked out again.  I have also been having hot flashes where I start to sweat and feel very warm and then in five minutes I  am cold again.   This is so scary...please some advice and words needed.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I used to suffer from these when I was younger and found it really scary as thought I was going to have a heart attack. Had it checked and it turned out it was something to do with my connective tissue being very soft and stretchy and a valve being a bit flappy or something like that. Strangely enough, as soon as I was told that (doctor also said that a lot of gymnast girls have it as it's linked to being flexible), my palpitations subsided so I think it might have been a bit physiological with me.

?I am now 45 and started getting them again a few years ago. Again, found it really scary but then realised they were always happening a few days before my period is due. I could literally tell when it was going to come as I would get the palpitations for 2 days before. And a nasty headache. This lasted for a few years and it has now stopped but my periods are all over the place so it's one thing after another really.

?I'm sure it's to do with your peri but perhaps get it checked out. And perhaps see if you can link it to your cycle? 

Good luck x

• Posted

Hi there Jennifer,

if you got checked and all is good I wouldn’t be too concerned.

anxiety is no fun... that’s what this sounds like

Try to find some calming things that will help divert your attention.

Sometimes while going through these changes we ourselves need to change up some things to help us through.

Talk to people who will encourage and build you up; to people who only get you thinking or feeling the worst.

This doesn’t help our fears or anxiety. Stress is nasty part of all these changes 

Things can often feel worse then what they actually are.

breathing exercises and talking to nice encouraging people is always helpful

😊

• Posted

Sorry I meant to say People who DO NOT make you feel worse 
  • Posted

I get this too it happens without warning and feels as though my heart is missing a beat, then goes really fast and makes me anxious, i find walking and listening to music helps. I find slcohol makes it worse.

Your friend being taken ill like that would make you feel more anxious but try and remember all the symtoms are normal for our age, tests would show a problem x

• Posted

Sorry was meant to say alcohol 😁

• Posted

So that’s the thing. We all know people who have actually had heart attacks, cancer, etc.. so this is why getting these symptoms is so distressing. I kept telling myself that all these crazy awful things going on could just be perimeno but what if they aren’t? That’s what started all my doctor visits an I was 51 when all the crap hit the fan. When I went to see the cardiologist, before she even listened to my heart, she told me I need to have mindfulness. I was like, you haven’t even listened to my heart yet! But logically, I have to tell myself, will all the tests and scans I’ve had, if something were dreadfully wrong it would’ve showed up somewhere. Still doesn’t make it any less stressful though. So now, when I start getting chest pain or nausea or any other of the many annoying symptoms I just tell myself it will pass. Guess if I ever really do have a heart attack I’ll just die because I’ll be sitting here telling myself it’s just peri!! 

How’s one to know????????????

Guess this won’t make you feel better, but I do think if you had your heart checked out already it really is just peri. Seems like heart palps are so common among so many of us. 

• Posted

Hi Jennifer, I don't have the palpitations or fluttering but I do have everything else and the ANXIETY super bad, so I know how scary these symptoms can be.. I do read a lot of other ladies on here talk about they have palpitations though and say it's one of their peri/meno symptoms..

If you've had your heart all checked out and doctor says your fine, I would try and relax and not over think it too much! My hubby was diagnosed a year ago with afib, and last Friday couldn't breathe and ankles and feet were swollen, he went straight to hospital and has been there ever since, they now say he's in congestive heart failure and that his heart is only working 40% , they want him to where the life jacket difibulater until heart gets stronger and meds kick in... So you can only imagine how I'm feeling with my anxiety at the moment, and to top it all off my dads cancer is back and he went into hospice this weekend! I'm just trying to keep my anxiety down the best I know how.. And hopefully you can too just know you would have much worse symptoms like your friend had and my hubby if it was more serious! So try and relax and maybe call your docs office for an EKG, just to ease your ANXIETY and mind a bit!! Hope your feeling better soon.. Also heard magnesium is good for flutters/paps ?

• Posted

Hi Gypsy, thank you for sharing  your experiences with me. I am so sorry to hear about your husband and dad.  I will pray for them.  Sometimes these things come at us all at once and it’s very stressful.! Life can be hard and then throw in this crazyness were in the middle of.
  • Posted

Oh, and I used to check my blood pressure and heart rate multiple times throughout the day as well. My heart rate was always high when these episodes were going on.  I’d wake up feeling like my heart was racing.

I’m happy to report I don’t do that anymore. The heart palps are gone, just ocassionsl pains in my chest. So maybe 52 will start getting better for you too. ❤️

• Posted

Thank you Suzanne, yes, maybe 52 will be the year it stops! I wake up like that also sometimes.  I appreciate your kind words.
  • Posted

Go with your gut..  Get second opinion to have peace of mind.   Your friend must've known something before this happened? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.