Heart palpitations upon wake up

Posted , 5 users are following.

Omg I’ve had this for 2 years, I’ve had 2 opinions and one doc said panic attacks after several tests come bk normal, my heart rate goes up to 145 plus with normal tachycardia but the other doc said I could have an over stimulated vagus nerve ?????Could be from straining, but It seems to happen after a couple days of consumed alcohol, also bacteria in the gut causes inflammation and causes gas, pain and panic etc, I swear I near die 😏... if I put myself in a positive place yoga, reading and not over think to much then after few weeks it subsides. But then it comes back after abusing my body with alcohol and straining on the toilet!! Hmmm not sure really ??

I personally think it’s stress, the vagus nerve and inflammation of the gut. But my symptoms are sudden waking up sweating and then once I move my body my stomach goes all nausea and then my heart starts to race and I feel fear!! Weird as s**t.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I've had something like that, mostly dreams including athletic activity and then I wake up with heart pounding.  Whatever it was, it was not a panic attack.  Never had a diagnosis - never even talked to the doctor about it.

However, it turned out I had some high BP, and when we treated that, these symptoms subsided.

• Posted

Hi jx41870

Yes, well my blood pressure is always around 115/65 pretty good they say, but when the upper stomach feeling comes on with rapid heart beat it is around 165/95 ... so I’m not sure if that is a factor or not. Also do you get a upper gastric sick/fear feeling when yours comes on? Mine only ever comes on during 3 hours sleep + , sick of it. It’s currently 4:02 am and I’m kind of feeling it now 😏

• Posted

What tests have you been given at the hospital?
    • Posted

Hi moon 53540

Well I’ve had everything you can think of , ekgs, holter monitors, coeliac, allergy , even sleep studies tests god you name it. But In saying that I’ve never had a stress test work up.. well as yet!! I get build up of gas, breathless and then racing heart! Probotic do help sometimes. 

• Posted

Have you had a D-dimer blood test or chest CT scan with contrast? I had racing heart, chest pain, breathlessness, trouble taking in a deep breath, stomach problems and I had all the heart tests come back clear but I asked for a CT scan with contrast and it turned out I had multiple pulmonary emboli. If you haven’t had this test I would recommend it. Do you smoke or have you taken any hormone tablets like contraceptive pill, IVF or HRT?
    • Posted

No I haven’t had this test, only because I have no chest pain in any of the events I’ve had.. it’s more upset stomach with racing heart! But I’ll mention it to my doctor next and ask for a ct scan, my doc is pretty good and will order anything that I have a complaint with! Gee I hope I don’t have that!! Sorry to hear that you do 😌

• Posted

If you have these big BP spikes, that needs looking into.

Any change you either take a turmeric supplement or eat a lot of Indian food that uses turmeric, *and* you also eat cheeses and aged meats like salami?  That can cause an "MAOI cheese effect", which I believe has happened to me a number of times before I figured it out.

Actually when I'm having palpitations my BP meter can give crazy results or just give up.

• Posted

Yes my bp is quite low most of the time. Just a spike when I get up from sleep from the stress of the racing heart! Because the ambulance sit their and watch it go down 😦 from a high. Yes I call he ambulance 2 times a week 😔

• Posted

Today is the best day of my life, finally found out what is causing me the nasty racing heart etc upon wake up! You all ready for it ..........SUGAR...... yep I’ve been drinking lots of fanta after a hangover, that’s why the times I don’t drink any Sosa after hangover I don’t get the rapid heart rate and sweats nausea and light headed.  Do you know theurbis 16 table spoons of sugar just in one can of Fanta.. who would of thought 😳, sugar and I don’t mix. After two and a half years all this because of sugar, it’s the most leading cause of heart disease I found out today. Wow wow 😮 I’m god smacked. No more chocolate 😢 no more sugar. Anything to no get these spikes of racing heart ? 

• Posted

Good news that it is nothing serious, but slowly cut down your sugar don’t just stop because you can get some nasty side effects. There are so many things that you don’t realise sugar is in as well. Any tomato sauces, ketchup or soups check the sugar content. Alcohol contains sugar too, some drinks are worse than others. Things like red bull are really bad as well.
    • Posted

Well for now it’s not serious, but tomorrow I have to go for a diabetes test. I only ever have a can of Fanta, I could be sugar intolerance or allergy etc not sure as yet! Hope not diabetes. Doc said could be hyperglycaemia. Yes I don’t have sugar much at all. Just the Fanta. Yes bbq and tomato sauce got lots sugar in it. I’m definitely not having anymore sugar :-) 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.