heart palpitations when lieing down trouble swallowing

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I was put on Amlodipine 3 weeks ago all fine to start them being woken with palpatitions legs and arms shaking and feeling of blood gusging down arms legs really swollen. Only getting 2hrs sleep been to GP  had ECG  bloods done was told these all ok to stop Amlodipine and been put on Indamide last night ended up at A&E bloods done again and ECG all clear again told have Arrthymia has anyone else had these problems and how long for Amlodipine to be out of system and does it settle.

Please can anyone help

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Are you on the Amlodipine for high Blood pressure or something else? All I can say is I am on Amlodipine and have palpitations but had them before taking the Amlodipine. Mine are more due to the fact that I produce too much aldosterone, so am on tablets to control it.

Sorry that is not much help sad

• Posted

Hi amsjo yes was on it for high blood pressure did not have palpations before started it

Thank you for replying

• Posted

hi kay, when you first go on amlodipine you get palpatations foe the first week  esp when you lie down , amlodipine takes no prisoners it seems for most people its a horror story. if you suffer from arrthymia your symptoms would have been much worse... if you have come off amlodipine you should be clear of amlodipine symptoms one to two weeks the shaky arms and legs took me about ten days to subside, well i hope your feeling better soon, please document your progress so we can compare how long it takes your symptoms to ease i know were all differant at recovering, but i hope your better soon, all the best.....len 7.
    • Posted

Hi len7

Thank you for replying and giving me your experience last couple of nights not been so scary will keep you updated

• Posted

Hello Kay,

Yes I agree with len7, I had a terrbile time with Amodpine myself, shakes, poor sleep, swollen ankles, rash,stiff knees, lethargy, paplpitations, after a week of this awful stuff I tood the decesion to stop taking it and see my gp at a later date, I felt much better after 3/4 days but about a week before I was "normal" again.  I went back to my gp she didnt bat and eye over my side effects , I'm now on lisinopril  to see how I get on but already am getting side effects from that, any bad ones and I'm off back to docs again as I cant live with the type of bad effects I suffer from these drugs. Had I note made the decesion to come off Amlodapine I'm sure I would have been very ill as a result. FYI I'm 50yo, male, quite fit and normal weight but high bp . See your gp and ask for another med  kay before you get REAL problems that may tale an age to sort, its your life and body so dont let the doc bully you into a drug that clearly is bad for you. May I ask your age please? 

• Posted

Hello ivan_rtw

I am off to see my gp today I am 48

• Posted

I was on Lisinipril for a short time.  I am 66 years old with high bp.  My bp went down for about a week and then went way up.  I found out that Lisinipril is made from the venom af a south american snake.  SNAKE VENOM!!!  I was then put on Benicar HCT.  I was given Augmentine for an infection.  I only took 2 tablets and my face swelled up so bad I couldn't see out of one eye.  The doctor said that the Augmentin made me allergic to the HCT (water pill) part of the Benicar.  I am now on Benicar 20mg and Amlodipine 2.5mg and my bp is now 118/66 on average.  In the mornings, it is higher and my doctor says that it is normal because the body raises bp in order to wake you up.  In the evening my bp is almost too low, although I don't have any symptoms.  I'm thinking about asking the doctor to cut the dosages in half.  I'm going in for a colonoscopy in 3 weeks, so I'm going to stop my bp meds 2 weeks ahead of time so there will be no interaction this time.
  • Posted

-Kay,

Hope it goes well for you, keep your eye on these postings. I find the site very helpful for contact and advice,etc

Ivan.

• Posted

hi kay, just to agree with what ivan  is saying we are all having very similar symptoms after amlodipine for anyone else out there who have been put on this med, dont leave i t  too long before seeing your doctor if you have problems, that is very important

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.