Heart... Please help me guys. Please.

Posted , 10 users are following.

PEASE PLEASE HELP ME. It never ends. Every time I start feeling a little more confident that I am healthy another fear arises. This time it runs a little more deep. Recently it was the London Marathon and I saw on the news that a 30-year old army veteran collapsed and died 3 miles off the finish line. I have always been a big believer in exercise and for the past year and a half I have been training hard, doing quite a lot of cardio. After hearing this news I am now TERRIFIED that I am going to die of a sudden cardiac arrest due to the intensity I have been exercising. I have an appointment with my GP for the 11th of May but I am SO SO scared I am going to die before then. I have had severe health anxiety for about 3 years now and I have been convinced of a stroke, heart attack, clots and so much more and even called ambulances. I have been so close to calling an ambulance again but I HATE wasting ambulance time because it is so precious. I am only 17 and can’t leave the flat so if anyone can reassure me, it would mean the world to me. I often go dizzy but I suffer from sinus and have a cold thing at the moment but I can’t help thinking it is my heart... I read the odds are 1 in 50,000 but what if this time...?

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I completely know what you are going through. My worry is Cancer and then my heart. Its horrible. I constantly think I'm going to die and leave my three kids behind without a mom.
    • Posted

Hi there

Health anxiety is actually torture. It tricks your mind and you become convinced that it is telling the truth. It is like a little devil that sits on your shoulder 24/7. I am so sorry that you feel this way... My mum has the same fear as you. I am here for you. x

• Posted

Hey, I have Anxiety and I've just finished being investigated for heart problems. Please try not to worry about this. It's such a rare occurance, you're actually more likely to get struck by lightening than die suddenly from intense exercise, and by intense exercise, I mean Marathon running. Most athletes who die of sudden death have an underlying heart problem that has never been picked up before. It's got a name for it, but I can't think of it now. I know it's easier said than done, but please try and not phone an ambulance as they could have been attending someone who was having a heart attack or someone that has fallen down the stairs etc. Try and get in with your GP earlier if you can, say you're having problems with your heart and you need to be seen urgently (even though it's not neccessarily the case), and they should get you in within a couple of days. I hope this helps a little x
  • Posted

You won't die from exercise just because someone else did but I know this won't reassure you.

I also have terrible health anxiety and it's a chore to try and convince myself I don't currently have at least 6different types of cancer! It's near impossible to control health anxiety especially when something sets it off.

Someone once collapsed and died in a 5k which I was a part of and for awhile I started running less. In fact I started running again two days ago after an 8months break. I now have health anxiety so while I run I keep listening to my body for any sign of distress. It kinda takes the fun out of running as I usually run and think and just be happy. Now instead of 30minutes I run for 10-15 and keep thinking I don't wanna aggravate any illness I might have that's gonna kill me. It sucks but at least I'm active again.

• Posted

My biggest triggers are physical symtoms, one I notice something different I start thinking the worst. My heart rate goes up, my pressure and I get tense and stiff. This happens alot as I'm a super hypochondriac, I check my body constantly and I notice EVERYTHING! It's driving me mad but whenever I don't feel physical sensations I'm usually calm.

Just that my life is real messed up at the moment, there's alot that needs straightening out. I'm generally a worrier and I am sensitive and take things to heart. We all know that my personality type is perfect for mental illness.

• Posted

Think of how many runners there were in the London Marathon and take away one. That's just a small percentage of a death. And a young girl died a few years ago. She got over a million pound in sponsorship and last I heard he has received 30000 from friends fundraising in his name. So although they both died it was not in vain.

KEEP EXERCISING and maintain your heart rate checks so that you don't overdo things. Get a portable heart rate monitor if you are worried or just take your pulse to see how you are doing before and after exercise.

It's your anxiety doing this so I hope that you feel better soon.

rich

• Posted

You are too young,so be sure nothing is wrong with ur heart,i have same problem with my heart,its panic thing like feel u will have heart attack

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.