Heart pounding and elevated every night as I try to sleep?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Three weeks ago before I went on holiday I experienced a suspected panic attack. I went to see the doctor who checked my heart, blood pressure, oxygen levels etc and all seemed normal. She put it down to my anxiety, however every night as I get into bed after about 5-10 minutes my I can hear my heart get louder and pounding in my ears, it feels faster. This has been happening for 3 weeks, so I'm not getting much sleep each night. I went back to see a different doctor who ran tests and she seemed to believe it's all anxiety related however has asked for an ECG next Friday just for piece of mind. What I don't understand is that I'm fine during the day and it only happens at night? My mind is recked with thoughts of undiagnosed heart disease, over active thyroid etc I've had blood tests a year ago and they were all perfectly fine. Drs don't seem too concerned but I am!

Any one else?

Matt

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hey Matt!

I feel your pain but mine is in the morning, I lie in bed and my heart is pounding and for weeks I was certain something was happening I.e s heart attack etc.

I've been diagnosed with anxiety disorder and panic disorder - which is sometimes harder as you cannot fix it over night.

What your doing is something that I do called 'ruminating' 'free floating anxiety' which is your brain over thinking.

For e.g I would panic and think every morning this would happen to me when infact it was just my anxiety doing it. Viscous circle.

I hope you feel better soon!

Do things for you to relax,

and it will get better

Grace

• Posted

Hello there,

I've had anxiety for a few years now and just this year did this problem start happening to me too. I'm wondering if anything has to do with laying down. Because often, I'm not even thinking about anything stressful and my heart does this. Even though I'm going through a lot in my life right now. Sometimes it gets so bad I drink chamomile tea or even a bit of alcohol to slow my heart rate down. It pounds so bad it hurts! Sometimes even on a full stomach my heart will pound.

So you said you had several blood tests, and I'm wondering if your doctor checked your vitamin D. I also have depression, and my doctor just found a month ago that my vitamin D level is 11, and supposed to be 50-80. I seem to be improving with the vitamin D prescription if 50,000 IU once a week (for 12 weeks).

Depression and anxiety go hand in hand, and can be caused by the same brain chemical imbalance. I would highly recommend getting that checked. I've had my thyroid checked several times in the past 3 years because I read a lot about the thyroid and it too scares me, but my TSH levels are good.

I also wonder if our bodies are reacting to subconscious stress. Does this happen every night for you? Mine isn't every night but when it hits, it's uncomfortable. It's almost like i don't even want to lay down to sleep. (I'm not a good sleeper as it is.)

I hope you get better soon, it's rough going through it but you're not alone.

• Posted

Hey, yeah this happens every night, some nights it's worse than others. I do sleep but I'm waking up earlier than usual. Now I have something else to worry about, Vitamen D. Maybe I should have the doctors check that. God it's horrible.

Matt

• Posted

Just go to the pharmacy and buy some!

Also get your levels checked by a blood test.

And don't worry about Vitamin D deficiency - it is very easy to treat.

• Posted

Ahh! Not to scare you or anything. Because yes, believe me we anxiety-ridden folks don't need much more to worry about. But at least you'll know where your at level-wise, and you'll have it for peace of mind. Do you live in the northern states? I'm from the Pittsburgh, PA area. Several doctors and my counselor said that a lot of people around here are deficient! Most of us in general, unless you get sunlight everyday. I've been trying to sit outside or go walk during my breaks at work, and believe me walking and listening to music helps with worrisome thoughts (I feel like I'm obsessively worrisome). Though it has started pounding at work and i sat so I wouldn't elevate the rate any more by walking.

Yes it's horrible. Then there's those people who are all sleeping peacefully and don't have this problem and I'm all like GAHHH you're lucky! I never had this problem when I was younger!

Maybe try looking at your diet too. I'm trying to get more vitamins and minerals by incorporating more fruits and vegetables, and taking a multivitamin. It's like my health is so touchy I've got to baby it so bad. And I'm experimenting because I'm so desperate.

I stop drinking coffee after say 11:AM or so or caffeine will stay in my system until bed. But I need it to wake up because I'm so groggy in the mornings. Even though I've been waking up before my alarm too. Which leads me to tell you another story about losing sleep for 2 weeks from a concussion that aggravated the pounding heart thing violently. Talk about feeling delirious.

Overall this night time pounding problem has diminished for me, so I'll try to think of all that I'm doing differently now so you can experiment to see what's helping.

• Posted

Before my blood test, I've been on 400IU which is listed as 100% of daily value.

My counselor suggested I have my levels checked, despite my supplements. After my blood test, I was scared to take the high amount my doctor prescribed me, at 50,000 IU once a week for 12 weeks. Apparently it's safe, and because my levels were so low, the doctor said it was necessary. I don't get a whole lot of sun. Winters where I live are cold, cloudy and I barely go outside.

I'm looking forward to getting my levels back up, and it's good to know that it is easy to treat.

• Posted

So, my reply is awaiting moderation because it thinks I added a link, but I didn't. We'll see if it posts!

• Posted

U hear the heart pounding in ur ears cos u have a blood vessel passes right past your ear. U can't hear in daytime unless really quiet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.