Heart problem or anxiety?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello im 16 years old male, i've been having chest, arm, shoulder pains for quite a while now, i had 2 ecg's done months back and 1 blood test before, which again was months back... i've kept going back to my gp and he told me i most likely suffer from anxiety, and he offered me to go to a councelor, i also recently started getting a lot of gas in my stomach, i've lost my appetite, i feel nauseous and lightheaded / dizzy throught out the whole day... and i have shortness of breath... sometimes acid reflux kicks in, but i've got a history of acid reflux problems... and i dont know if it could really be anxiety, i cant smoke or drink it makes things worse, i've smoked today and i feel like im air hungry and im short of breath, my heart speeds up quick if moving around... and i get sharp pains around it... esspecialy when doing physical activity such as walking up the hill... i've just read about heart failure, and my symptoms really match same with heart attack ect... and now my shoulder is in pain... can anxiety really stay on, all day and cause appetite loss, gasy stomach pains in chest and arm area? or is it really my heart, and doctors just dont pick it up...

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Karolis561,

Have you begun any treatment for the anxiety? Are you using medication and/or speaking with someone? Have you given the treatment several weeks to see if it is helping? Anxiety itself is a beast to hurdle. It can impact you in a variety of ways, above and beyond those that most people commonly think of. By no means am I saying that anxiety is or is not what you have. Just as there is no way for anyone here to tell you that you have a heart condition or not. What I can say is that no matter what is going on, often the same handful of symptoms can apply to a wide variety of medical conditions. If you do not trust your doctor, see if it is possible to get a second opinion. If you continue to have sharp pain, as you have described, do not hesitate to seek help. If have trouble breathing, speak to someone. Try to have patience (I know this may be asking a lot) and continue to be your own best advocate. I hope you find the answers you seek soon and begin to feel better.

• Posted

I havent began any treatment for anxiety, i think if it is i can try and handle it myself... and im not completely convinced, it's hard to tell... i do not take any medication, although sometimes i take some valerian extract which is supposed to calm you down... it helps i think, but not all the time... today i've been reading some of the symptoms that heart falure would cause, and i've soon started noticing almost all of my symptoms listed there, i started to feel heat and apperantly my skin went a bit red, my shoulder and arm started to hurt i took that valerian extract and it kinda went away in around 5-10 minutes... sometimes it really seems like it's just anxiety, but then again sometimes it looks like it's more than that... my GP said i shouldnt really worry about it at my age, and that i overthink this, and i shouldnt think about death and heart disease at such young age, as it's not normal and is most likely anxiety, i didnt go to a councelor when the doctor asked if i wanted to, because i felt like i can handle it and keep it under control by myself, but sometimes it doesnt work i guess, i probably will go to see a councelor and see if it helps, thank's for reply!

• Posted

Hi There

You seem to be very anxious and concerned, but if you are having a heart attack it would have happened by now.

Anxiety can mimic a multitude of ailments. The mind can convince you your sick when you're not.

Try to take a step back. Do some deep breathing exercises...look them up on google.

Self talk yourself...when you feel anxious tell yourself, in a firm way, you are strong.

Do some visulation exercises.

Ive done them and it works. Close your eyes..sit somwhere quiet and.relax. 

I see  myself standing on a stage and behind me is a huge sign with my name on it in bright lights and it keeps flashing a message that says YOU ARE STRONG...YOUR HEART IS STRONG...and there is loud cheering and clapping.

Sounds silly? It works.

It takes a while to get used to it but it can make you calm and helps you to stop thinking negatively.

Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks for replying, past few days are getting worse, having sharp left sided chest pains, that go away in a min or so... only had 2 of these pains so far... but it's scary when it hits u all of the sudden... ill try to calm myself down...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.