Heart problems?

Posted , 6 users are following.

So... I’ve recently been having “heart trouble” where when I stand up, I black out; I have episodes of fast heart rate while doing nothing (130-160), lots of fatigue, dizziness, and lightheadedness; as well as general tachycardia when not laying down. Heat, dehydration, low blood sugar, and standing make it worse. I went to a cardiologist who gave me a ecg (which only showed palpitations) and a full exam and said I had perfectly healthy but gave me an event monitor for “good measure”. 

So far I have been dignosed with:

-Gastroparesis

-GERD

-Tachycardia 

-Palpitations 

Any opinions and/or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Look up Greg Page, and Wiggles, he had has orthostatic intolerance or dysautonomia, very hard to diagnose, and not life threatening from my understanding.

But very uncomfortable issues caused Greg to retire from the group.

• Posted

Hi Anne, It will be interesting to see what data the monitor comes back with. Do make sure that when you have an 'episode' you press the button so that the analysts can home in on the adverse event - not always easy to remember if you're feeling unwell. As you've highlighted dehydration and low blood sugar you can sort these yourself by ensuring you drink sufficiently and eat regularly. I too had the weird issue of heart rate going up when doing nothing and BP going down when I was actually doing something. It might be useful to get a Blood Pressure monitor as well.  Before I was diagnosed I was convinced I had POTS (Postural Tachycardia Syndrome) and it might be worthwhile mentioning this possibly. It does seem difficult to get tests for this - apparently they will put you on a tilt table - would appreciate any others looking at these posts to offer their view on this possibility.

Has the Cardiologist suggested a Beta Blocker or any other medication?

Do let us know how you get on. I think the hot weather affects everyone with heart issues, so do try and take it easy - harder said than done when trying to get on with every day living.

Best wishes

• Posted

I would be concerned if you "black out" when you stand and the cardiologist ( I'm assuming he/she is aware of this fact) should refer you for further "workup" if he/she told you you were perfectly healthy, unless of course you passed out as a result of low blood sugar, but even then you should be checked out to find out why.  Good luck.

• Posted

UPDATE: Monitor came bak with heart rates ranging from 130-180 but doctor is not at all concerned. When mentioned POTS he said its possible but to just drink lots of water and eat more sodium; says he does not really want to give me medicine. Don't really know what to do from here.

• Posted

Husband has heart failure, in hot weather I have to be very careful with him, especially if he has been sweating.

He is on fluid restriction because of heart failure, but if he has been sweating I have to estimate how much he has sweated and replace the loss of fluid.

My best friend and his also is his OMRON, a blood pressure monitor, also reads how fast his heart is beating or not.

When his blood pressure is low, below the levels given to us by the cardiologist as recommended within 10-20% of those levels, I immediately start him off on a cup of water or 250ml every hour, cannot tolerate more, after 7 years of this regime I have mastered to some extent his fluctuating blood pressure levels.

Have even when very low on a hot day last summer, mowed the lawns, and came in gasping, I took his blood pressure, tooooo Low, rang his regular Dr, he saw us immediately and suggested I take him to the hospital, I said I can manage him, Dr insisted I ring him every hour therafter to tell him the results of my re-hydrating plan, it worked very well, he was seriously de-hydrated, I forbid him to mow the lawns on a hot day now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.