Heart problems - do I need to get this checked?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm a 24 year old obese woman for background. My family has no history of heart disease, my blood pressure about 4 months ago was fine and I'm not diabetic nor do I have any other conditions that could relate to this.

I started 3 weeks ago with a jaw/tooth pain on my right side that came on suddenly (I say jaw pain as I can't pinpoint a location of pain with it), would last about 10-20 minutes and then dissapear again. it would happen randomly and was not brought on by any food, temperature e.t.c. I went to the dentist and she was a little confused because tapping all the teeth and messing around caused me absolutely no discomfort BUT I do have a chipped wisdom tooth on that side that I have had for years and will shortly be having taken out and that's what the dentist attributed it too.

However it became apparent to me that I had other symptoms whenever this jaw pain would strike. I would have a deep deep ache and heaviness in my right arm, my right shoulder and my neck. In the last week these symptoms are more frequent and the shoulder is a recent addition. I have also this week started getting pain/discomfort in my upper back when the pain hits as well. I also have had pretty bad heartburn the last week when normally I don't suffer much. I'm very fatigued for no reason.

I did go to the doctor in the early stages of this but he thought it was just a trapped nerve. but I'm just not sure. I've heard of heart issues causing similar symptoms in women (even if it is only on my right side) and I'm not sure if I'm just being paranoid?? anyone got any insight or similar pain?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

The fact you have toothache and jaw pain may be because you could be grinding your teeth. A third of people who do this don't realise they are doing it because it usually happens when they sleep. I have had bruxism for years which certain medication can make worse, like anti depressants and ppi tablets. For ages I would be getting terrible neck and shoulder pain that got so bad I couldn't even move my neck to side properly I had no idea why I was getting the pain. I was seeing a physio which helped a bit but still didn't get rid of the pain. I eventually decided to get botox for my bruxism because my jaw kept clicking and popping. After a week my jaw neck and shoulder pain had almost completely gone and I then realised that it was my bruxism causing all the pain. I had botox a few more times until I found out you can get bone loss in your jaw.

I would say you are very young to be getting heart problems and the fact you are female goes in your favour as well as no family history. Heartburn is something that is very common in women, have you taken any medication for the heartburn and it go away? Heartburn can occur at certain times of the month as hormones can affect it. Back and shoulder pain can also be caused by acid reflux. Try taking some zantac and rennie when you get the pain to see if it helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.