Heart problems or anxiety?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey guys, I have had this problem since I was 7 years old and I am 19 now. For some reason, at times I feel a forced strong heart beat in my throat.  I can be laying down or standing up but once in a while I feel these. I’m assuming it is not life threatening or else I would of been dead by now. It just kinda worries me because I don’t know what causes these. At times this unknown condition of mine brings me down a lot... I have told my doctor about this and my heart is normal according to his examinations. I remember when I was younger I would be terrified when it happened to me, and when I told my mom she said it was all in my head. Honestly I do not think it is imaginary, it even happens when I am not thinking about it. Some are really hard to a point where I flinch a little bit and at times some of them are soft were I barely feel them. When it happens it is not a constant beat it is just one single strong pound. If anyone has experienced this and know what it is please let me know. I feel like this has ruined my life a lot. I don’t know if these are ectopic heart beats or a heart mur mur. Or some kind of heart problem that has not been diagnosed. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Not necessarily what you have, and I described it more as in my whole neck than in my throat, but otherwise similar to yours. Went to the doctors about it over the course of three years, they never found anything as I wouldn't be having the symptoms when they looked, so I bought my own ECG machine, a Prince 180B, that way I could take my own ECG when I had the feeling and show it to a doctor who then took me seriously. Mine eventually got more and more frequent until they joined together to form Ventricular Tachycardia. If you click on the little picture you will see what mine looked like when it was becoming quite frequent, every fourth beat, but it used to be much more infrequent. 

• Posted

After showing the doctors your results what have they told you? Have they diagnosed you with something? As I read your comment it happened to me again. Mine is becoming more frequent. 
    • Posted

Initially they just said it was benign ectopic beats, but a friend got a second opinion who said it was Ventricular Tachycardia and sure enough it got worst until they joined together, see pic. They cured the VT with an ablation though I still get harmless ectopics, I am worst though from long standing after effects of the beta blockers they put me on. Try taking Potassium suppliments, they would give me a Potassium drip to stop the VTs when I went to hospital A&E.    

• Posted

Oh okay, thank you so much for the advice. I am most likely going to purchase my own machine to because this stuff happens to me when I’m home. So there is no possible way a doctor is going to diagnose my problem. All of this stuff is scary, I hope you get better. 
  • Posted

I would see a cardiologist to ease your mine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.