Heart racing at night and in mornings

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi. I’ve been experiencing rapid pounding heart in the middle of the night quite often. It only lasts about 5-10 min.  Then I feel hungry right after. I also get rapid heart rate/anxiety attacks during the day. I’ve been to the hospital several times for this. Every time they do an ecg  my heart is normal.i have no chest pains. Sometimes shortness of breath. No other symptoms.  I haven’t been eating much over the past few months. Since I came down with a virus in February. I’ve lost some weight. Any thoughts on this ? Iam getting frustrated. 

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kelli, sometimes I get that. My Afib started up again after picking up a horrible infection that gave me Pneumonia. You tend to feel the beats more in the night due it everything being quiet and lying down usually affects it.

It might be better to have a 24 hour monitor on so it will pick up those beats overnight and any other strange beats you get. Do you have a blood pressure monitor to see how fast it actually goes? It is worth keeping a record if you do as I have noticed if I have dark chocolate mine gets worse and there is caffeine in chocolate and more in dark chocolate so might be worth seeing what you are eating as I have no caffeine in drinks but then realised it was in the chocolate and and really affects it and makes it beat very loud and very fast to 160 bpm.

• Posted

Could it be caused by anxiety? I have similar symptoms all day long every day, but heart was in afib, just beating heavily and fast.
  • Posted

How fast does your heart rate get? Yes my episodes came and went too and especially when resting. Lasted anywhere from 2 mins to 30 mins. Shortness of breath maybe brought on by anxiety. There are many tests they can run to document this including wearing a heart monitor for a day or a month. As soon as your heart rate reverts to normal the hospital will let you go. A cardiologist with a specialty in ElectroPhysiology is best choice, but you can start with your regular doctor. But get it checked out. Can sometimes be controlled with medicine. Find out, go to the doctor when you can. I wish you well and the best of luck.
    • Posted

I can jump to 120 bpm. I’m supposed to get a holter monitor  next week. My blood pressure also jumps up. I’ve been off work cuz of this. It’s caused me anxiety cuz I think there is something seriously wrong with me. Yet blood tests and ecg all turn out fine. 
    • Posted

Sounds like your on the right track to sorting this out. Early on that was my "high" rate. 120 BPM. Propafanone kept me from having any Afib episodes and no side effects. After that heavy stress induced Afib episode at 175 BPM for me, ended up in hospital and they changed my meds. I wish you well and the best of luck.

• Posted

Did anyone suggest a Holter monitor? You wear it for 24 or 48 hours and it will record all heart events. Another alternative is an event monitor. You hold it to your chest and/or just push a button when you feel the rapid pounding, and it records the event. No sense guessing what's going on. Your GP should be able to hook your up with either, but if not, see a cardiologist.

Jim

• Posted

Yes. Have to wait till April 25 to get a monitor. Strange the docs can’t find anything on my  ecg. Even had numerous blood tests. All came out ok. I don’t get it. It’s very frustrating 
    • Posted

Yep, same for me. Heart echocardiogram was/is good too. My heart is good, but it gets out of it's normal rhythm. In my case it beats fast and that is called tachycardia. I wish you well.

• Posted

An ecg only picks up what is going on in the 60 seconds or so when it records, therefore the need for longer monitoring like a holter. If it's really driving you crazy and you don't want to wait until the 25th, you could invest in a portable home event monitor called "Kardia Mobile". It will generate an ecg and at least tell you if you're in afib or no during these episodes. You can then email the ecg to your doctor for further analysis. Are you seeing a GP or a cardiologist? Cardiologists tend to be much better versed in these things, including ecg interpretation.

Jim

• Posted

12 years ago when I first got Afib I still felt like my heart was racing and it was but every time they put the 24 hour monitor on it didn't show anything until I had one four years ago after my second Afib episode and then I had to press a button to mark the tape and they just said that sometimes my heart rate was fast but it came back down so was not a problem. I am in Afib now and my readings on my own pulse monitor read 130 bpm then 45 bpm then 112 bpm as in Afib it is very hard to monitor due to the ectopic beats so if they had found something like Afib it would definitely have shown up as it is so erratic and noticeable it is not hard to pick up and you certainly know when you are in it as it constantly reminds you.

• Posted

Hi kelli

I too have rapid heartrate at night. Have been diagnosed with sinus tachycardia since Jan 2017. Taking Betta blocker Bisoprolol for it but because l hate this drug I'm trying very hard to wean off it, die to the horrible side affects. My heart was ok when l first started taking this but when the side effects kicked in and l started cutting the dose l now get woken up in the early hours with rapid heart rate, going up to 160 at times. Horrible and panics me big time. Getting very little sleep so that doesn't help the situation either.

Hope you get sorted out when you have your appointment on the 25th. It's a scary thing to go through though when your heart pounds so much so l know what you are expiriencing believe me. Good luck.

• Posted

I almost passed out a few days ago from a sudden drop in blood pressure. Then my heart started racing so fast. 130bpm. My blood pressure went sky high. I was scared to death. So weird. I went to hospital had blood work and ekg and found nothing. SO frustrating 
    • Posted

Awful that you had that weird attack kelli. And nothing found..

I don't know myself what to suggest for you as my situation is no better. Still being woken in early hours but now it seems to be every other night now instead of every night. Never feel well and blood pressure no better. As l was woken at 1.05 this morning am hoping that tonight is a good one and l get some uninterrupted sleep. Fingers crossed. Let us know what happens after the 25th as l believe you going to get a monitor? Hope they find out the cause for you.

• Posted

Thanks. Ya everything checks out. They may think it was a bad anxiety attack. No damage to my heart. Blood work all negative. Doesn’t explain why i almost passed out that day.  Very frustrating.  Maybe I just suffer anxiety. See what happens after 3 days of the holter monitor 
  • Posted

You often get weird readings it was very scary when mine was 260 bpm for quite a while and the new tablets I am on bring my blood pressure right down very low and my pulse I wake up with a pounding headache and very groggy then it spikes around 3pm at 160 bpm. I am on 180mg of Diltiazem which I take at 7.30pm but Pharmacist says to now change it to 7.30am and to do that I need to take it an hour earlier each day to get back to that time so as not to miss a dose so 12 days later I should be taking the morning dose. Not too sure on this so will check with GP when I go on 3rd May.
    • Posted

Wow that’s scary. Hopefully your appointment goes well. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.