Heart rate

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi - i have been taking propranalol on and off for anxiety over the last few weeks, usually 15 or 20mg. It does lower my heart rate, at times to 59/60. i am 46 years old with no other health problems other than anxiety and IBS. Should i be worried about the low heart rate?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

hi i've been taking 10mg 3x daily for over a year my heart rate has never been below 83 highest in the 90's so i wouldn't know i'm on it for anxiety i suppose everyone different try not to worry

• Posted

60 is the lower end of normal so if it is a little bit under that, I wouldn't worry too much. Lower your dose if it worrying you. Why don't you see a psychologist for your anxiety to give you ways of dealing with it and getting on top of it. Medication for anxiety should only be a short term solution while you get therapy to help get to the root of the problem. Anxiety also makes IBS worse so psychologists also can help with that too.

• Posted

hi im a 30 year old and im on 40mg 3x a day and my resting heart beat sometimes goes to 54bpm usually stays at 67-69bom but if im really relaxed then 54 but dont get worried i dont it keeps my mind at peace its working properly xxx

• Posted

Hi all! Tamsin, I'm 39 with unexplained palpitations/chest pain, increased heart rate, and anxiety (that I've had for at least 20yrs now) with a sprinkle of pre hypertension (just recently) (whew, that was A LOT lol) and mine has recently been going as low as 52/53 at times (I am NOT an athletic person so it seemed weird to me for it to go down so low during the day) It's usually when I'm super relaxed, it also does it frequently when I'm asleep. I'm on 60mg/day for 4 mos now. Normally I feel fine but it does freak me out sometimes too especially since it has REALLY started about a month ago when I got a different brand at refill. I am having to stop it though due to ever growing GI issues. I talked to the nurse at my cardiologist's office and told her about my HR steadily decreasing since the refill to which she said stop taking it but, didn't ask any further questions regarding that part, she was more interested in the GI stuff so I guess she wasn't too concerned about the HR. Maybe ask your doctor just for some peace of mind? I know how stressful this whole process is, I've had quite the 4 month journey with this stuff! I hope you find some answers and start feeling more comfortable soon...the anxiety can be such a...well you know! Just know you're not alone 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.