Heart rate after hyperthyroidism

Posted , 5 users are following.

My heart rate keeps going high even after my tsh and my t3 and t4 levels are normal. My dr says I need to see a cardiologist now. I was off atenolol for 10 days when my hr went up to 162 and I had to start taking it again.... I don't see cardiologist until Nov 8 th. I also have apt with new endocrinologist but not until December 28 th. Anyone have any advice or has this happened to anyone else? Also my endocrinologist still has no idea why I was hyper in the first place maybe because she never bothered to test me properly.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

what is your TSH, T4 and T3 ?
    • Posted

I don't have them with me right now but they are all normal and within range

• Posted

it's hard to comment without numbers... but yeah just check with your cardiologist... could you update me with heart after seeing cardio... thanks.  Im curious i get chest spasm when im nearing overdosing on methimazole... 

• Posted

Sorry to hear of your bad experience with physicians. I had heart palpitations with my Graves' disease. Even though my endocrinologist felt it unnecessary, I still saw a cardiologist. I was blessed that all turned out well and even though the endocrinologist was correct as he often times is, I have no regrets. We as consumers must follow our instincts since we know our bodies best. In my case, eventually my Meds kicked in and helped the heart beat issue. I wish you the best with your doctor search. Just like everything in life, there are good, there are bad.

• Posted

Were you weaned off beta blockers slowly? If you stop them suddenly you can experience rebound with a return of the symptoms for some time.
  • Posted

Hi! Sorry to hear about that. It may simply be that it's taking a while for the symptoms to disappear. So don't freak out just yet - it may be that it's taking your body a while to get back to normal. When I was first diagnosed, I was in high school. I had a very high heart rate, I don't remember how long it took but I was banned from doing any sports for an entire school term because of the heart rate.

Just keep taking the beta blockers and try to stay calm and don't worry about it - you've done all you can, you just need to wait now. Sometimes all this worrying and anxiety is because of the thyroid and this can give you a high heart rate too, even if the hormone levels are normal. 

Finally, there might be no identifiable cause for hyperthyroidism...It just happens, and it is a very common health problem. It's not a nice disease, not at all, but we all have to do our best to get used to the idea.

And things will get better soon! 

• Posted

I did wean myself off gradually until I was taking 6.35 mg of atentonlol and then stopped. Now I am back on 12.5. I was finally tested for graves and a few other things wimpish came back negative. My dr thinks my thyroid wil eventually burn out...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.