heart rate fluctuations at rest ???? is this normal while on beta blockers??

Posted , 6 users are following.

i am on propanalol 20mg twice a day. it keeps my heart rate under control. but i have noticed when i am sitting my heart rate goes up like from 66 to 82 up with every beat and then with same pace it comes back to 60s.. is this normal ?? sometimes i can feel my heartbeat in chest when this happens and sometimes i just notice it on heart rate monitor.. my heart beat does feel regular..

i am on 20 mg fluoxetine once a day in the morning. and have a history of panic attacks in the past leading to high heart rate.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I'm on 40mg of propanolol 3 times a day but I think my heart rate stays the same. God up abit on a morning until I take my first one. I suffer with servere anxiety and panic attacks x

• Posted

Mandy to keep reading your heart (Pulse Rate) all the time is not a good idea. When we sit, stand, run or walk the rate increases then lowers or rises as the body needs to gain oxygen from the blood supply so you do not get an accurate reading. Sometimes your Doctor gives a bit of kit that takes readings over several days so they get a better idea what is going on.

To do what you are up to will just cause further Anxiety on your behalf.

Behave yourself and keep a hold 

BOB

• Posted

i know its making me more anxious.. i just can't resist thoughts that doctors have missed something.. my mind keeps on telling me that i have something wrong in the body which keeps on triggering palpitations... i just can't take my mind off as i keep on getting sensations. i am aware of my heart beat almost all the time. its so annoying and so uncomfortable that i can not concentrate on any thing.. i am always on the edge.. i know there is no magic pill 😔

i have had 2 heart echos (normal) several ecgs n blood works, normal thyroid, iron, electrolytes, b12, normal 24 hr urine test... still having hard time believing that its anxiety.... u wont believe my breast feels numb/heavy which causes me great deal of discomfort.. i keep on getting chest pains ( from 2-3 months which doctors think are muscular) pains in arms and legs.. then i think heart disease will cause problem in chest not in whole body and i keep on thinking n thinking n thinking

• Posted

Given the problems you need to have your concerns put to rest. The problem arises when test have been undertaken they expect you to accept your results. If you are given more invasive testing they are a problem where they are much more invasive and have a more risky chance of going wrong so you pay your money and decide how far you wish to go, and those associated risks

BOB

• Posted

thank you for your advice.

the tests i have had were private not on NHS.

• Posted

lol

i know you r trying to fix my stubborn mind 😊

thank you BOB

i'll try to keep myself calm and believe that its anxiety

• Posted

Hi Mandy, 

different people react differently to medications. It's always best to consult your doctor to discuss medications. Your doctor knows your  history and would best be able to answer your question. As you probably know, panic attacks and anxiety can increase the heart rate. A heart rate of 82 is still well within the normal range. If you're thinking a lot about your heart rate as you were sitting,that can also raise it.  Talk to your doctor about it, but in the meantime try not to focus too much attention on your pulse rate.

• Posted

When doctors can't find anything they say it's aniety.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.