Heart rate went from 90 to 60 (at rest)?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi! My heart rate is usually at 90 when I'm at rest due to my heart disease and maybe my anxiety but after my endoscopy, it suddenly went down to 60–66? Is that normal?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

They did not comment on it?

Perhaps it was dehydration as you obviously had not been allowed liquids for several hours or because the cath lab was cold.

• Posted

Well, not really... I doubt it was due to dehydration though because it has been 4 days since my endoscopy
  • Posted

From what l know you have nothing to worry about but if you are concerned then perhaps you should make a appointment to see your GP.
  • Posted

It could be from the short acting anethetic they used when they did the enoscopy.

I noticed my pulse was lower after that same procedure.  Anesthesia can affect

everyone differently.  If it continues, I would ask the doctor what's causing this?

Of course it's better to have a lower pulse than a faster pulse any day, provided

it doesn;t become severely bradycardic (slow heart rate).

• Posted

I'm absolutely sure it wasn't anesthetic since I was only on throat spray due to my heart disease hehe. I could be worrying too much though? I honestly don't know but I hope I'll get through this

• Posted

Nothing but throat spray, that's unusual, I have grade 3 heart failure due to

a heart defect and I've been put under several times for an endoscopy.

What is the nature of your heart condition?  I'm curious, that's all.  It is not

in keeping with clicinical guidelines though to allow your heart rate to remain at 90,  my late husband didn't live long with his rate at 90, but he

also had respiratory failure due to muscualar dystrophy.

• Posted

I've never heard of the heart rate needing to be kept below 90bpm

• Posted

I'm surprised the Dr's are keeping your heart beat at 90 if you have heart disease, what type of heart disease.

What tablets are you on, and how severe is your heart disease.

My husband has heart disease, and for the last 6 years his normal heart beat for him has been in the 60's, thats where the Dr's want it to be, and tablets help keep it there.

Husband has dialated cardiomyopathy, diagnosed 6 years ago, probably from a virus, with a left branch bundle blockage, initially his EF was at 23%, went up to 40%, but dropped back to 30% EF.

A year ago he collapsed at home early in the morning, the hospital installed a pacemaker to help with regulating his heart beat, they discovered he had developed 100% branch bundle blockage, so his heart was beating at 30BPM, at home, dropped to 23BPM in the hospital while they were trying to figure out what was going on.

He does not have usual symptoms of heart problems, no pain, no swelling of ankles, he does retain water, his weight changes by kilos if thing are going wrong, so we keep a diary of daily weight, and any changes I notice for the heart hospital, basic blood pressure, we have a little monitor at home, and I take his pulse to see that it is staying at 60, also check his respiration rate and record all in my little diary, hospital has many times photocopied my pages and comments.

Junior Dr's and I have come to shouting matches at each other, as I have educated myself about his condition, consultant cardio has agreed with me on a number of occasions, and said he would employ me in the heartbeat if I had nursing qualifcations.

• Posted

Oh no they're not trying to keep it at 90. It's just what I've observed everytime I check my heart rate. I am diagnosed with VSD and I'm not on any meds since I'm under observation.

Oh, everyone has different reactions to diseases but best of luck to you and your husband Lyn!

• Posted

If they're just observing you for a VSD, it can't be that bad, unless of course

you're in heart failure, then that would explain your heart rate of 90.  Mine

would be 90 as well, but I'm onl heart failure meds that keep it at 60 or lower.

I have an uncorrected large ASD and other onomalies.  At 63 I'm lucky to be alive, because 90 % of all large uncorrected ASD patients are dead by

60, however 10% can live til their 70s, 80s and beyond.

• Posted

Keep going to those observation appts, echo's.

My husband has echo every six months to see what his heart is doing or not doing.

But it has been a year since his last echo and I have had to chase up the heart hospital to try and find why we have not been contacted.

Our GP says six monthly echo's are required for dialated cardiomyopathy, as well as on same day seeing the cardiologist, as when something goes wrong, it goes wrong quickly, well we already know that from when his pacemaker was installed. 

GP has written a letter to the heart hospital for us quering why no echo results, as he is supposed to have copies of those results as he is our first line of contact for minor issues.

Somewhere the hospital has stuffed up there referral process I suspect.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.