Heart rate when coming off Propranolol 80mg slow release?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been taking Propranolol 80mg for about 10 months.

I'm taking it for High Blood Pressure but it was swapped in because I was also suffering rolling adrenalin/anxiety attacks after (succesful [probably]) chemotherapy.

The doctor took out Bendroflumethiazide but kept on the Losartan 50mg.

The Propranolol may be affecting my sleep, although it had gone awry after the treatment anyway. I take 10mg Amitriptyline at night.

Last week I began, under medical supervision, reducing the Propranolol, one day on, one day off. I've been keeping a note of bp and heart rate, as instructed. The bp isn't bad bad, average 155/82, so the GP has asked me to do 2 off and one on. Today is the first second day, if you follow me. The bp is holding fine but I'm concerned that my heart rate, normally 66 ish, on the no-propranolol days is higher - 100 yesterday, 101 today, although it was lower in the morning.

I saw the GP just yesterday, and I do trust her - but I just wondered if anyone else had experience of increased heart rate while coming off Propranolo 80mg, and did it eventually even out?

BTW, although the rate seems so high, I have no sensation of rushing heartbeat or breathlessness.

Thank you.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I started on Inderal in 1969 for Tri geminy (every third heart beat is a premature ventricular heart beat) and Bi geminy, tachycardia.  When I would have the frequent PVC, I would feel so exhausted and lifeless. Most people dont feel it or have symptoms. I would feel so run over and the irritability would last a year at a time. I had a lot of arthritic pain too and finally 3 total replacements. I was taking darvacet over many years for the pain.  No one knew the pain med was causing heart arrhythmias.  With the new joint replacements I dont have pain like I use to and dont take any pain meds now.

I manage really well on Inderal. I know when I have forgotten my inderal as my heart races and pounds and I start with PVC. I have been offered newer drugs or Inderal time spansule and refused to switch. Its hard to break old habits at 71.  I found it a very effective and safe drug if used as prescribed.  I also think as I have gotten older, my BP is starting to rise a bit.  I believe the inderal managed my PB too.    It really has helped me.  

• Posted

Hello Ailidh! I am currently working on coming off 60mg propranolol extended and my hr does go up at times. It once got up to around 140, but that's mostly because I have a touch of OCD mixed in with my anxiety so I tend to focus on the hr. I had to lay off a couple years ago for a stress test and didn't take it for 3 days because I wouldn't be able to reach my target hr. After the test my hr went to 125 and stayed for several hours.I never felt out of breath. Apparently our hearts can take more then we think.. I am starting on the 10mg tablets and actually nervous that they will not be as effective, but I have to start somewhere if I ever wanna get off these things.  I hate taking the pills, but I hate the rapid hr worse. My resting hr is usually between 60 and 88, but like I said I focus a lot on my hr which seems to keep my anxiety on the surface. Just don't focus on your hr and you should be fine. I have been taking these since 09 so I know how you feel. I hope this helps.
    • Posted

Thanks, kjon, that does help. Maybe I should put the cuff on and just sit still for 10 mins before inflating, rather than put it on thinking omg omg it's going to be high.... smile
    • Posted

Most definitely... I have had anxiety for over 25 years and if I have learned anything about it, it is that I cannot control it as well as I think. Give me 10 min to convince myself that something is wrong and my hr will be thru the roof. Bp cuffs make me nervous anyway even though I've never had Bp issues except during an attack. The less you focus on it, the better off you are. I thought I would just be on this for a couple weeks, but it's been 5 years. I think that is due to my anxiety though. Just afraid to not take it. Fear can do a lot to us and our hr, but I am determined to control my fear and rid myself of all meds... I truly hope this helps. Trust me, I know how you feel.
    • Posted

Thanks again, kjon. The GP has now cut the propranolol totally, and I seem to be surviving. Still the raised heart rate but she doesn't think it's an issue.

I also thought the Propranolol would be very short term too, no more than the first month's supply. I know it's only been 10 months but it's felt odd, like dragging out all the chemo meds etc from 15 months ago. The big one's going to be coming off the amitriptyline - I'm still not ready to believe I can sleep unaided!

Good luck with your journey!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.