Heart Related or Not??

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone

I've been having chest pain for 24 days now that occurs everyday all day long. It is persistent but not constant, basically it comes and goes throughout the day and doesn't seem to want to stop. It usually occurs in the chest, particularly around the ribs but anywhere in the chest area, and recently I've felt the same sort of achy pain in my arms and fingers. But this only seems to be localized not diffused or spreads in a large areas.

The pain isn't very painful and is fleeting, so it only lasts a few seconds and doesn't seem to be triggered by anything at all, in fact I can easily run, walk and exercise as a healthy person would without setting the pain off in a worser way.

I've been to my Dr three times about my chest pain now, he says its not heart related especially since I don't experience palpitations and considering my age (19) but I did use to smoke and only just took up regular exercising on a daily basis...

I'm worried it might be heart disease, but my Dr doesnt seem convinced, tho it'd be really useful to have someone's opinion/ advice on this... If nothing changes by next month I'm going to the doctors again and demanding a ECG scan, this is getting to stressful for me

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi all

Thought it'd be best to update my condition again since I've noticed yet another pain area

So the chest pain is very vague now, almost as if I don't have chest pain some days. There's defiantly no central point the pain comes from, but my hands still cop the aching, espicially the left side. Sometimes if I take a deep breath I get a sharp pain in my lower ribs but mostly its a random dull ache that hits one tiny spot at a time, and lasts for few second's to abit past a minute.

Today I wanted to note a new symptom, head pain... I've felt the pain everywhere now so I'm very unsure what's happening but I get a dull, fleeting ache in my left side temple or forehead, but this pain can be anywhere at any time. So its hard to no what's connected and what isn't but still its ungoing.

This is all taking its toll on me now as I now am beginning to get depressed and almost just want to break down and give up on everything, not that I want to be this way I just don't know why of what this all is.

I was pretty sure it was angina given that I've had the typical dull ache pain in mostly my left side/arm but its hard to tell since walking doesn't set it off bad and it doesnt start or end in the centre of my chest. I don't get out of breath, feel sick, sweat or feel fatigue either I just get a reocciring ache that seems to always like to be in one of my hands/fingers and attacks the ribs later on. Very odd, hard times

I'm actually going to my Dr today so hopefully something gets confirmed... At this stage I'd take anything I just need to know what the hell is happening to me.

• Posted

Yep, in fact the very first place I felt pain ever was right under or on the lower ribs left side that lasted longer than any other time, almost half an hour of constant dull pain in the lower ribs. (No other symptoms)
    • Posted

heartburn, heartburn I'm telling you smile at the very least discuss it with your doctor.... there is over the counter drugs that at the very least will rule it out and at best make the symptoms go away...

• Posted

Your probably right... Ive just had an ECG and came back normal smile very big relief

My Dr said its anxiety and to be honest he could be right on that too so I'll see how I go but aslong as my hearts fine then I can live with it

Thanks everyone for your help/advice on this

• Posted

Hi,

Does reflux / heartburn medication help it at all, and by that I mean does it get rid of all your left sided funny feelings ?

Did your doctor do the "universal" type questionaire to actually determine if you have anxiety issues ? albeit stress and anxiety are similar I don't believe they are the same. As an anxiety suffer myself for 26 years, I have been good with them last 4 years, now it has been said on here before and I concur with the comment made, anxiety / panic is extremely uncomfortable but it does not produce pain.

• Posted

Glad it is looking good so far.... try the reflux/heartburn meds and see if it actually makes you better, if not it could be something else. Process of elimination smile

• Posted

PM Angina ECG's will nearly always come back normal, it is a blood flow restrictor but only for split seconds, so the blood can still flow reasonably easy while the spasming is occuring, artery spasms give off the same pain as other angina's and possible infarctions, unlike other angina's the artery tends to close off slightly (close ...not spasm) or almost completely and stay reduced causing the excruciating chest pain, some people actually don't have chest pain and because of this lots have come very close to not being here.

• Posted

Mmh... Okay I guess you can never be to sure but at the moment everyone but myself seems to think my heart/arteries aren't involved in this. The ECG was normal and although I see your point I'm putting heart disease on hold for now...

I've only tried one type of medication for heartburn, didn't help much at all. But it was a cheap medication and I only took two pops of it anyway.. Might try something else.

Ive had social anxiety and regular anxiety for years but since I quit smoking my anxiety levels went sky high (because I was excessivly coughing) later I noticed pain in the chest and lower ribs which caused me to surf the web for answers, like many people would but this just added to the stress. Then the pain changed to my arms hands and fingers aswell. Now I can feel it in any of those spots but mostly hands or ribs.

Today I've felt strange pains in the chest when I take a deep breath in which only lasts a few breaths.. Scary but not really associated with heart problems, more likely lung problems. Idk any lung issues that cause aches in the arms and hands tho.

Its too early to be sure but I've taken anxiety pills today and they seem to be helping quite abit, I know that pain and anxiety aren't typically hand in hand symptoms but something must contribute to easing these aches and so far, relaxing and distraking myself seem to work best. My doctor suggested anxiety after I told him of my arm pains so I'm slightly confused. I can't really ignore a professional, plus I've had two different Dr opinions now which both say its not linked to the heart.

Can't say for sure its not heart related yet but let's face it, if my doctor is telling me its not what else can I honestly do besides cross one thing off at a time? I'll keep angina in mind but for now I'll focus on simpler things to see if I can detect a possible cause there. Maybe I'm just the odd one to get pains from anxiety due to a sensitive streak... Idk haha my guess is as good as anyone's but I really need those anxiety pills since depression is starting to leak back into my life now, that's a road I don't won't to walk down again.

• Posted

Hi,

You know your body the best, sounds like you got that second opinion ? As you say, you can only take it a day at a time and concentrate on keeping the anxiety at bay if that's what you are feeling. I wish you the best of luck and good health.

• Posted

Thanks Samuel

I'm sure I'll find out what causing me pain soon, one day at a time is the key I think. Thanks for all your helpful advice I have really appreciated it.

• Posted

Another interesting fact to leave you all on though...

I still cough abit and sometimes I bring up a white, frothy mucus. Frothy as in quite bubbly. Ive seen that this can be a sign of Gerd... Just wanting to put that out there but again, I'm not sure so I'm going to take it a day at a time, see what helps and what doesnt...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.