Heart skips a beat when trying to sleep....is this anxiety ?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I recently noticed that when I try to go to sleep or wake up to use bathroom then lay back down my heart starts skipping beats and it feels like a hiccup. It just does it when I am trying to sleep. Is this an anxiety symptom or do I need to worry ?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I have anxiety, and I get the same thing. Plus, my heart starts to speed up, or slow down, but beats hard.
    • Posted

Thanks for replying. How long has yours been doing this ? Doe it just do it when you try to sleep ?
    • Posted

Mine's been doing that, for a long time, but since my anxiety got worse, it's been more frequent since then, in November of last year. And yes. All the time now.
    • Posted

Wow....when it first happened to me it scared me cause I didn't know what it was and had no idea it can be an anxiety symptom as I was diagnosed with anxiety in October of last year....what do u take for your anxiety ?
  • Posted

Well anxiety is excessive worry.  Well when your waking up your heart is at a resting pace.  I would think it would normally beat faster when you get up.  Your heart rate is going to raise with activity.  Those of us with anxiety "overthink" about possibilities. Try not to give it too much thought.
    • Posted

Thanks....I try not to give it too much thought but sometimes can't help it. I didn't have the feeling yesterday when I was sleeping as it comes and goes.
    • Posted

My anxiety levels do the same thing but not as often as they use to. Do you ever get numbness on left side of face ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.