Heart / Sleep problems

Posted , 4 users are following.

A couple of nights ago, I stayed up for 24 hours straight, just over. I went to sleep that night and kept waking up with a fast heart beat and it sometimes felt like I was gasping for the first couple of seconds waking up. I woke up about 5-6 times in 5 hours sleep (I'm a deep sleeper and never ever wake up) and throughout the day I was very tired and after about another 5 hours I felt really tired as if I've been up all day. I then goto sleep tonight and have woken up multiple times due to a fast-ish (unusual) heart rate and feel restless. I am finding it very difficult to goto sleep and I don't know what's causing this. I'll try to goto sleep again and sometimes be in that half awake half asleep period and suddenly wake up to my heart being fast-ish again. Once I waken for about 2-5 minutes I can't go back to sleep due to not feeling as tired as before. This can happen sleeping on my side or back etc. I'm not sure if I'm just noticing this, but my right hand has been unusually cold over the past couple of days and when I'm awake all day, if I walk to a few places, my heart just goes fast due to being out of breath (been like this for a few months) -

Actually, the only reason I'm asking this question right now is because I woke up from it, got a drink and my heart started racing again (moving), right hand feels cold and I can't fall asleep again (only slept for about 4-5 hours when before this even happened, I could take up to 8-10 hours without any problems or interruptions)

Some important additional information: I very rarely do anything except for things on the PC in my daily life (almost only ever) - Rarely getting exercise, probably none at all - I don't believe I eat that well (no healthy stuff) so I'm curious if this has a role in anything and what this may be.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

You must feel quite alarmed cheesygrin See your GP and get yourself checked over,, somethings going on smile
  • Posted

A similar thing happened to me 5 years ago, I went to my local A&E dept where I was admitted to hospital and was diagnosed with fast heartbeat known as Atriel fibrillation. I now am controlled with medication it is as simple as that, if you have the same condition it is good to get investigated.
  • Posted

Hi Thelt, go to your gp, explain your symptoms. You may have a hyperactive thyroid (Overactive thyroid). I had one 40 years ago with exactly the same symptoms. It turned out I had this condition and also a heart murmur (The heart murmur was from birth but I did not know it until then).

I had suitable treatment, although I then went hypothyroid (underactive thyroid) about 2 years later. Since then I have taken thyroxine daily and have been fine.

If you have this problem the only way to find out is a blood test. It is a fairly common condition and easily treated.

There are many other things it may be, mostly easily detected and treated.

So off to the doc and let us know how you get on.

Good luck, Fanny Jane.

• Posted

Hi Thelt,

Just been Reiadingyour post from last Oct. how are you now, did you go to the Drs and get yourself checked

Over. Hope you are feeling better now.

• Posted

Hi, If you are staying up for over 20 hours, you should expect your heart rate to increase, bc your body is stressed, and when it is stressed, it automatically releases either cortisol or adrenaline, and it will not stop releasing it/creating it, until the body no longer is stressed. Also, this by far is more likely to happen if there are other things going on that day that are particularly worrisome that cause you emotional stress/distress- the combination of stress triggers the adrenaline.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.