Heart stops for a second when trying to go to sleep.....is this anxiety ?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Since last year (not sure what month) I have had the feeling that my heart stops beating for a second the starts back up and does that several times when I am trying to go to sleep so of course it scares me so I don't sleep at all.....I stayed in hospital overnight in October and they did a stress test and said my heart was fine but not sure if I was experiencing this symptom before or after the stress test cause I don't remember. I have been feeling fine until the last few weeks. I have been more dizzy and just feel so drained an have no energy. I usually do some walking but lately can't cause of the dizziness.....idk what to do anymore....I had a vestibular test done last year and all was normal but went to get a 2nd opinion at another ENT and will be doing another vestibular test in may cause this Dr said he thinks its my inner ear that's causing the dizziness and off balance feeling.

I am starting a new job next Monday after having been out of work for 2 years and I am not sure how I will do cause I get dizzy when I am sitting down. I have klonopin to take if needed but it don't always help.....PLEASE HELP

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

I also feel like my heart stops when trying to go to sleep.i gasp and jump.ive had tests done on my heart also.apparently I have hyptic jerks
    • Posted

Does yours do it all the time ? Mine comes and goes so idk if it was something I ate....I am debating on whether to see a cardiologist again even though I was last checked 6 months ago and 3 years ago when I had my heart checked I was told I had a heart murmur but nothing serious .
    • Posted

I usually sit up in bed until I can no longer keep my eyes open.dont help though as it still happens as soon as I try sleep
  • Posted

I have a double heart beat so every few beats its like it stops for a second but it actually double beats at that point. I do also get the feeling sometimes that my heart beats out of its chest suddenly when I'm trying to fall asleep. I think sometimes its our anxiety trying to stop us from falling asleep as I find the night time the worst when my anxiety is high. As for your dizziness/off balance , it could be a harmless inner ear condition called Labyrinthitis which I have suffered from in the past. It can cause the symptoms your experiencing plus can make anxiety worse. It a horrible thing to have but I just want you to know that its harmless. I carried on with my job, although tough at times. Just remember to have plenty of rest but also maybe go on short walks as this helps you to compensate and re train your brain again x
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply.....I believe it is anxiety too but sometimes I wonder if there is something bad wrong with my heart. I am starting a new job next Monday and I am so scared I won't be able to do it cause I get dizzy while sitting down too....I have an appt for a second opinion with an ENT Dr to do another vestibular test cause first one I did last summer was normal but this new Dr said he things all my dizziness and balance issues are coming from my inner ear....how can I cope with the dizziness while doing my new job ?
  • Posted

Hello Michelemuffin smile

I would absolutely say that this symptom is anxiety, as I have had it before too. I know it's easier said than done, but I think if you try to think about it less, it will probably stop. 

• Posted

Hello Dani.....I try not to think about it but its hard . I couldn't sleep yesterday cause of the skipped heartbeat.
    • Posted

I honestly had exactly the same problem as you a couple of years ago, and now I have a different problem, I feel like a have a kind of buzzy feeling in my heart when I go to sleep. I've had so many tests done on my heart and they all say I'm absolutely fine. But I never believe doctors and think they've just missed something. I guess that's health anxiety for you rolleyes

In terms of your new job, perhaps try and mention the dizziness to someone when you start? That way it won't be a huge shock to them if you don't feel great. Just tell them that you've seen the doctor about it and they think it's an inner ear thing.

I'm really sorry you're going through this. I hope you feel better soon x

• Posted

Thanks Dani.....I meant to say I start training for the new job Monday which will last 8 weeks and there will be a lot of other people in the class too and that's why I am scared and nervous cause I don't do very well with crowds especially if I have to do something in front of the whole class.....idk what to do
    • Posted

I can relate to this completely, If I have to do something like that, I get anxiety over the possibility of getting anxiety. You end up in some vicious cycle.

When I do thinks like this, I just make sure I have a bottle of water with me, remember to keep breathing! (I hyperventilate and make myself dizzy quite a lot) and try and focus on the task at hand and don't let your mind wonder. Again, that's a lot easier said than done but as soon as you find yourself thinking about the possibility of dizziness or anxiety try and snap yourself back to whatever you're meant to be fousing on. I have no doubt that you'll be absolutely fine!

• Posted

Thanks so much for the words of encouragement. I will do my best to block the nervousness out so I can complete the training with no problems. I just hope they don't put me on the spot in front of everyone cause then I will freak out 😕
    • Posted

I am also afraid if I tell them I have anxiety they may not wanna keep me cause the job is in a call center answering a lot of stressful calls
    • Posted

Perhaps it's best not to mention that you have anxiety until after the training, just say that you have the dizziness problem for now.

Don't let your anxiety stop you doing this job. The more you try new things that you'd usually be afraid of, the better you'll feel! I promise. Last year I started saying yes to more and more things and I felt a lot better afterwards. Don't let anxiety rule your life. You're better than that. I have every faith you'll do fine in this job, you just have to give it a go!

• Posted

Thanks again Dani. I will do my best cause I don't wanna mess this job up
    • Posted

You'll be okay smile let me know how it goes michelemuffin! Good luck

Dx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.