Heartbeat over 100 bpm

Posted , 5 users are following.

Just recently i have notice my heart rate goes over 100 bpm and i had a particularly bad 'attack' today.  I was walking along as normal and suddenly i felt my heart started racing and i started to feel as if my breathing was going to stop.  What could be causing this?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Carina I'm not a medical person but this doesn't necessary mean there is a problem with your heart but with the electrical stimulus making your heart beat faster at odd times I.e. without

having run etc. It's called temporary tachycardia. If you went to oyour GP with this he/she would probably check to make sure

there is no underlying cardiac problem then probably prescribe

a beta blocker medication for you which would stop the random fast heart beat.

• Posted

hello, i've got an app on my mobile phone which is a heart rate monitor so i will keep a record of when my beats go over 100 and will show the GP.  I am Type 2 diabetic so it does worry me about heart problems.  Thanks
  • Posted

Great idea as you do seem to need to give the Gp some evidence

sometimes as proof of what your saying.

I wish you well xx

• Posted

I haven't posted for a while but wanted to say that my heart rate has been showing as over 100 bpm today and i've not been feeling too well.  I remember mentioning this to my GP and she checked me with a stethoscope and told me everything was fine.  I also had an ECG last year but that came back normal.   Does anyone know what could be causing me to have a high reading for my heart beats?  thanks
    • Posted

I kind of had the same thing. Would go to ER and they would do an echo or EKG and everything would come back normal.  I've been saying for years something is not right.  Went in for a procudure and while hooked up on the monitor they finally was able to capture it.  They tell me I have a-fit. If it happens again maybe go to ER so they can do a EKG and maybe they can record what is going on. 
    • Posted

If your gp has checked and nothing untowards has shown up it would be interesting for you to make sure your magnesium levels arent low. We can become depleted in this mineral and potassium quite easily which have the ability to lower bp and fast heartbeat. Also if you are low in electrolytes it can have the same effect. So make sure you top up on magnesium/potassium (via food or supplements) and make sure you are not dehydrated. It might not be the answer to your problem but definitely worth a try.
  • Posted

I' due to have an ECG tomorrow as have been taking my bpm from a heart monitor app on my phone and it is well in the 'red' range.   It's also been showing high from BP monitor readings which i have been taking too.  Let's hope it's nothing to worry about.
  • Posted

I am on 80mg Ramapolol my pulse is sometimes off the scale, I have a large leaking valve, so quite a lot of blood sloshing around my heart.I have to get open heart surgery, but my pulse has to have this done to bring it normal, not looking forward but I'm running on low energy, so has to be done. I have also got Kidney failure!!!!  May I say this all started when I was put  om ,Amarodion , a terrible drug, lots of sideeffects, I wouldn't touch it it with barge pole. Hope you get you rate sorted . 
  • Posted

Had my ECG and heard nothing yet so am assuming no news is good news but I'm due to see the doctor next week to go over the results.  My blood pressure is quite high I think even though I take one 5mg daily of Ramipri, I feel my GP will increase my dosage as my diastolic figure (bottom figure) is in the 90's
    • Posted

Carina,

Just wanted to say you did the right thing in seeing your GP & going back when things still felt wrong. Have you had any blood tests? There's multiple reasons why your heart rate is higher from Anaemia to a thyroid issues; stress being another. A simple blood test will either rule out illnesses or help the doctor diagnose what's going on.

Last December, I was told that I was in severe heart failure. I was terrified & thought I was going to die at any moment. Now with medication, my heart rate is normal & I feel fabulous. Nothing is never as bleak as you think & I'm wishing you all the best for when you see your GP.

• Posted

Yes i have recently had some blood tests done including thyroid and should know next week the results.  I am concerned about my BP as that too seems to have become raised even though i am on medication but probably it will need increasing.  I will update you all when i know more.  thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.