Heartburn and indigestion since gb removal

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hiya as any one had bad heartburn and indigestion since having gb put? It kind of feels like foods not going down but her heartburn quite bad and a heavy feeling. Doc has given me a tablet omp? Something or other but am a bit scared to take it. Any one else have similar

Sammie x

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi I take two a day for heartburn and acid reflux really good tablet to take have mh op on Monday

good luck

• Posted

Oh so your taking it already before op? I never had heartburn so bad when I had gall bladder. Good luck hope all goes well xx
    • Posted

Yeah been taking for 10 years you will be fine and thanks for good luck

sue

• Posted

See this what worries me if I start taking them will I be on them for life?

Will it pass?

No worries I was scared to death to walk in and hand myself over to be operated on lol xx

• Posted

You take two to start off with and then reduce to one a day jyst to keep the heartburn and reflux at bay I would rather take a tablet a day than have these symptoms, I think thats the scary thing walking in in no pain and waking up in pain, just give them a try
    • Posted

My doc said one a day. I think I will just a bit nervous about side effects thanks for your responses xx
    • Posted

No worries touch I have never had any side effects from them xx
  • Posted

Hi Omprazole can cause Diaorhea that's the only side effect I have had from taking it I was advised to stop taking it and try Zantac xxx
  • Posted

How long is it since you had your operation? Heartburn and indigestion are common side effects of gallbladder removal but it usually settles down in most people. The drugs prescribed for you are for reflux disease and gastritis and should really be only prescribed after a scope to confirm this. Doctors are too quick to prescribe these drugs without a confirmed diagnosis. Also recent studies have suggested taking these long term can actually cause gallbladder problems and also an increased risk of heart attack. I have taken these drugs before my gallbladder was removed and stopped taking them

Shortly afterwards. They are only supposed to be prescribed on a short term basis. Have you tried digestive enzymes? They are a natural alternative with far fewer side effects. X

• Posted

Hiya I had my op 4 weeks ago Thursday. Was rushed back in as had an internal bleed.

I have had no such tests just told doc had bad heart burn he gave me this. I still haven't took any as the side effects scare me so have been trying to deal with it naturally.

Thanks for response x

• Posted

Sam it's early days and indigestion and heartburn are common for a time after gallbladder removal. The body has to adjust to the loss of the organ and the liver now has to take over. Your digestive process has been altered. The difficulty with these meds is that they stop your tummy producing acid which you need more than ever now that you don't have the gallbladder. They also believe now heartburn is actually caused by not enough acid in your tummy. Also if you do take them

For a short time and come off them you may get a rebound effect (like heartburn) which is actually your tummy starting to produce acid again. It does pass and does settle down. Good luck xxx

• Posted

Hi Sam

I had my Gb out in June. however was on Omaprazole for a number of years which worked great for the hearburn.

You should request you GP to have regular magnesiun tests as as in my case my Mg levels dropped so low which caused vomiting.seizures and induced coma for a few days.

I have had 5 hospital admissions anything from 5 to 10 days and although my reaction was unusual it is best that you do have your Mg levels monitored

I would say that it is an excellent medicatuon for heartburn.

Best of luck.

• Posted

See this all worries me I have had my fill of hospitals and don't wish to get ill again. Thanks for response think I'll try over counter first as am quite scared to take it
  • Posted

Hi Sammie

im now 6 weeks post op - i am still taking one lansoprazole in the morning and one renitadine at nights to just slow the acid down (i was taking two of each per day pre op) - this seems to help as when i did stop taking them straight after the op it resulted in really bad bouts of diarrhoea – since I started taking them again this cleared up immediately and I eat pretty much what I want – I do know some really fatty foods like batter on fish etc will upset me a little but its weighing up the pro’s and con’s really.  I have found that I can’t eat a lot of cheese anymore but I guess if that’s all I have to contend with im doing quite well compared to some…  i have been told i can reduce the tablets when all settles down so will try this in the coming weeks/months but at the moment im feeling good so im not going to rock the boat!

Good luck and keep going with the trial and error.. everyone is different. x

• Posted

Hiya thanks for response. I had decided not to take the tablets as was a bit weary of a side effects and also if I stopped would it come back and I thought my body needs to adjust to not having a gall bladder and my stomach needs to regulate its self. I brought some gaviscon first day used it loads second a little and haven't used it at all today or yesterday. I am eating fairly low fat as have joined slimming world. So far seem to be ok.

Just reluctant to take pills after the amount of drugs pumped in to me wen I was rushed back in.

X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.