Heartburn & Anxiety

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi, is constant heartburn related to anxiety???

I suffer with health anxiety, a lot!!! And having this constant heartburn isn't helping matters!! Can anyone help!!!!

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

My physician says they are related. When I google it, It seems to reinforce that they are really related. However my doctor said browsing and comiing into contact with a wrong or erroneous information aggravates anxiety further. anxiety causes acid production and thus heartburn. Thinking about heartburn alot and not doing anything about it increases anxiety. vicious cycle really. Talking about it, connecting with other people with the same health issues helps if only to get some assurances that I am not alone and that others can live with such difficulties but there is no greater assurance that hearing it first hand from a medical practitioner. 
    • Posted

Ok so I was fine when I woke up this morning, no heartburn so feeling good. I get to work and have some porridge and a coffee, maybe an hour later I start to feel the pain in my chest, it is not as central as normal it's more to the right and it feels like it's my right breast bone?? I've taken a gaviscon and a paracetamol to help with the pain, I wasn't feeling anxious to cause it but now I am feeling anxious it's making the pain feel worse?

What brought it on in the first place??? If I wasn't feeling anxious what could it be???

• Posted

The fact you drank coffee and eat porridge could be th key to why coffee is a big trigger for reflux and heart burn and also porridge the milk could be the problem try having it made with just water also the fact it's liquid could make it s bit sloshy so it could be slipping up into your gullit I bet your full it's England's from so much heart burn I would go see your doctor and try some PPI medication just got s short time like a Month and also adress your diet cut out spicey foods coffee tomatoes no grecey foods and fizzy drinks drink water before a meal and don't eat food to hot and drinks let them cool down first

• Posted

Hi Laura....it sounds you maybe having an issue with gluten.  I think I'm the same. Porridge can be lethal to me so I don't bother with it. I try different things. Eggs and whole meal toast. No coffee for me but fruit teas ... yoghurts and fresh fruit etc..... go online and check some ideas out.im no expert but this seems to work for me and lunch I have tuna salads etc.... tbh if you start off with a decent gluten free breakfast you gotta chance to get through the day and as one of the above comments says the body can heal itself.anxiety and stress along with heartburn can go together but it's a bit chicken and egg syndrome.what comes first?????.i will eat anything to start my day off as long it doesn't cause me problems. For example I could eat chicken pieces and toast.  Not everybody's cup of tea but I like it.always have some gaviscon handy to help you along or even Ranatadine tablets. They are cheap.shop around for cheap gluten free foods in supermarkets. There are some out there and eventually build up a regular diet. Stay positive and come back anytime for any more advise or chat.

• Posted

Thank you, I had the most awful panic attack today I literally thought I was going to die!! My chest was pounding and I felt quite light headed. I took some bicarbonate of soda as that helps with my trapped wind and helps me burp, but an hour later I'm on the toilet with awful diarrhoea (sorry that's graphic)

My chest still hurts and I'm beginning to think it's not heartburn and that it's way more sinister, I felt fine first thing this morning and I'm sure I'll feel fine again tomorrow it's the hours in between that get to me!!! This has been on and off for 3 days!!! I'm sooo worried what do I do?

• Posted

It's so difficult Laura.... I know exactly what you are feeling..go and see go and ask for ecg.. that should put your mind at rest.i totally have the same symptoms nearly everyday at some point.get up in mornin feelin ok then as day goes on symptoms start to kick in.sometimes not too bad sometimes not great.then go sleep at night and begin again.just keep telling myself it's not what I think it is.

• Posted

Hi Stevieboy

I took myself to A&E on Friday night and had ECG, bloods and chest X-ray and all came back fine. Doctor said it's muscular and asked if I'd done any form of heavy lifting - I did lift some 5kg dumb bells the other week from work to my car and they were quite heavy (for me!!), but would this cause acid reflux and heartburn??

Saturday I had quite a good day with no pain atall and then Sunday I took my parents to the airport and had been lifting their cases in and out of my car and then boom!!! Chest pains and heartburn all day, could they be connected??

My dad suffers acid reflux and has diverticula and also has colon cancer 4 years ago so now I'm worried that it's that!!! My mind is all over the place because I can't seem to go through one day without any form of pain and it's so depressing

• Posted

Hi Laura... anything could possibly cause your acid and heart burn.what did you eat??...even eating nothing can cause it.i use nexium. You probably not keen to use them but they work for me.dont take them everyday but three times a week maybe.they keep the acid at bay and allow me to concentrate on certain healthier foods. glad you had the ecg and put that thought to bed. My doc said I had a muscular prob too.... do we have the same doc. Haha.keep reading and get yourself eating more natural foods. .heinz baked beans are great. . Don't know if you are uk or USA but they are gluten free too.you also gotta try and tell yourself that it's not a heart attack or cancer or you will drive yourself nuts and make everything worse.... 

• Posted

Heinzs baked beans are no good they have tomatoe sauce in the. That will corse reflux and heart burn
  • Posted

Hi Laura. 

Any update on your situation. I’m asking for a friend. I hope you are better now. Thank you 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.