Heartburn, back again?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey all!

so not too long ago (about half a year ago) I was seen at the docs for an intense pain in between my shoulder blades etc, long story short, I took 40 mg of omeprazole for a month and it healed up for the most part. I didn't go back and ask to be put on a regular long term dose because if i can i would rather avoid the pill route. But, fast forward to this week. I haven't felt the back pain in a long while, and have only had slight heartburn fairly frequently. Now, however, it has returned, and on top of it my chest of my left side burns really really bad. Almost could be described as a pinch. The other day I was at the docs because I have been experiencing a pounding heart beat on occasion at night time. EKG was done and it all looked normal etc. She chalked it up as my anxiety.

But, although, I do know that most of my symptoms are heartburn related, as I burp quite often, but this burning in the left side my of my chest is almost scary and hurts. I don't know if i should get otc heartburn stuff or call back into my docs and get a prescription of some sort though. But, I also wanted confirmation from the community hear as to whether this is chest pain is a typical heartburn symptom. Cause it hurts really bad.

Thank you for any responses!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Yes, this is normal for reflux. I have this almost everyday with mine. They did an endoscopy and found that I also have gastritis and a small hiatal hernia. It's best to take something to clear it up. I tried to do it naturally for awhile and it just didn't work for me. I now take Zantac every day although it's not as effective as the PPI's.

• Posted

I am really questioning as to why these type of symptoms would be related to heartburn or acid reflux. There are so many possibilities.

A lung infection

A fib

a pulled muscle

a mineral imbalance

a pinched nerve

a hernia

Knowledge is power. You don't want to just try different drugs and see what happens. I would suggest simple solutions to see if they help. Try juicing dark green vegetables first. If symptoms improve, then there is a nutritional deficiency. You can also try simple antacids and see if the symptoms immediately subside. PPi drugs are somewhat addictive and are hard to get off of. So I don't recommend them. If you have a chiropractor nearby, then he may be able to determine if there is a pinched nerve. Stretching exercises may also help. Regards, John

• Posted

I also requested that my doc take a blood panel thing to check for any deficiencies in vitamins and minerals and such, because my first thoughts are always to take a look at my diet and stress to help address the health issues I face. It's not always the easiest for me to tackle my diet though, but I do, at the least, try to be conscious of what I eat. I have taken tums before and they have helped a bit, but it says not to take them for symptoms that occur more than a few times a week, and mine usually do. I've heard some not so great things about long term use of PPI's so I am wanting to avoid that route if possible. Told the doc I didn't want pills. I haven't thought of juicing to possibly aid the process. One thing I do know, is I feel an acidic stomach often, any foods that might help towards those symptoms and the such you would recommend?

Thanks!

• Posted

When I saw my GP doctor for my symptoms I wanted to rules out the obvious issues so I had a H Pylori blood test, there is also a non invasive breath test. However, breath and stool tests are better at detecting active H. pylori infections than is a blood test.

I also had the full spectrum blood test which turned up undiagnosed diabetes. But I likely also has some stomach ulcers, but I did not want the endoscopy. If you can handle it I would recommend an endoscopy.

Some things that helped my stomach heal was low acid olive oil, liquid vitamin E, a 5 source magnesium ( I chew it and swallow with water).

When you start feeling better don't go back to bad foods, because they cause symptoms to return.

You can try a vegetarian diet using Organic soy protein powder for protein. Juicing provides high nutrition to help the body heal. All of these reduce stomach acid output and can assist healing and provide potassium which can help with muscle spasms and irregular heartbeats.

If you have good insurance you may be able to get an MRI scan which could rule out the sliding sliding hiatal hernia possibility.

Most small hiatal hernias cause no signs or symptoms. But larger hiatal hernias can cause:

Heartburn

Regurgitation of food or liquids into the mouth

Backflow of stomach acid into the esophagus (acid reflux)

Difficulty swallowing

Chest or abdominal pain

Shortness of breath

Vomiting of blood or passing of black stools, which may indicate gastrointestinal bleeding

Keep me posted, John.

• Posted

Vomiting of blood or passing of black stools, which may indicate gastrointestinal bleeding

• Posted

Sounds like a hital hernia. Acid reflux can cause heart palpitations

• Posted

Interesting! because that's what I had made me doc appt for, I wasn't sure if the pounding heart beat was palpitations or not and got nervous. The pounding heart beat wasn't fast, but just felt heavy.

• Posted

yes i had the same. i has reflux with a hital hernia. My hernia was sliding. So every time it went up i would have reflux, food would come up, and also heavy heart palpitations. It was awful. I got my hernia fixed and gotten Esophageal Valvuloplasty.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.