Heartburn following heller myotomy now 32 weeks pregnant

Posted , 2 users are following.

hi all

I am 32 weeks pregnant and the last couple of weeks have been a nightmare during pregnancy.

I had a heller myotomy for achalasia 13 years ago when I was 14. Since then I have suffered occasional heartburn but it is usually kept at bay by lansoprazole.

During my pregnancy this was swapped to omeprazole which has been ok however, the last couple of weeks in particular the last 3 days I literally can't cope with it. I am taking my medication regular and following the strictest GERD diet but I feel I have constant heartburn then all of a sudden I will get to the stage that I am in the worst pain I have ever felt crying and screaming. I am so frightened of what effect this stress is going to have on the baby.

I feel my GPs are just putting it down to pregnancy heartburn which is common obviously but I cant actually explain the excruciating pain I am feeling. Any advice or experience?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I've had success co batting my reflux with a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in water morning and evening... It took a week or so to start working but what a difference it has made for me. 5 years later if I miss it for 2 days the reflux comes back but soon as I start taking it again I'm happy. Zantac, or ranitidine if you prefer, was my go to before that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.