Heartburn for 5 days straight

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello everyone,

About 5 days ago I developed a very intense burning in my chest which I attributed to heartburn. I tried a bunch of OTC options as well as some home remedies (sodium bicarbonate and water, ginger tea, bland diet, sleeping elevated etc). Nothing works.

I was also prescribed omeprazole for a completely unrelated issue and have been taking it for three weeks, clearly it isn't helping with my current symptoms. I went to my local walk-in over the weekend and was prescribed ranitidine for it which also is not helping.

I have this pain 24 hours a day and nothing gives me any relief, sleeping is difficult and it is so painful sometimes that I can't help but cry, especially at night.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Melissa

Could be non related to actual heartburn/acid reflux, have you been checked out for other possibilities?

If it is heartburn/acid reflux then the medication does take quite a while to make a difference.

Robin

• Posted

Melissa ..if this pain came on suddenly....and you have not had these issues before...and is not responding....to.medication....and is so.bad that it keeps you awake..and makes you cry.....then you must make an appointment...to.visit your Dr...soon has possible...so.you can be examined properly...to.help....what is the cause... Chest pain should never be ignored....does sound very much like acid reflux problem....which can be helped...in various ways.....Dont Panic!!!its very common....in both young and elderly.....and can be treated.....but your first Port of Call.is to.see your Gp..explain the medication.you have all.ready taken...is not helping at all..and he will.then take it from there....but dont delay..the sooner you see him or her...the sooner they can treat you....i.know what its like....not very pleasant..i.also.have the problem...not nice!! And very disruptive to.every day living......hope you will.get all the advice and help.you.need.....Shirley

• Posted

To be honest I don't even know why my GP put me on omeprazole in the first place. I have been having right side pain for about a year and am scheduled for a CT scan to find the cause. While I was in the office, he gave me the script for it.

I spoke to the nurse at my practice and she said that I should speak to my doctor about having an endoscopy and about the possibility of H.Pylori, she also said I might be having rebound acid from the omeprazole.

I feel like my doctor will fob me off and put me on a stronger dose of medication to get me out of the office as that's what he did the last time I saw him. Without doing a physical exam, he said I have

• Posted

I have nasty episodes like this before. It would seem things like ginger worsen it the moment it has started. The only thing that help in such a situation are drugs that relax the smooth muscles like the esophagus. They include boscopan, amytripline, diazepam and wait for it, sidelnafi. These relax you and calm the muscles of the thoraxic area. They are not meant to be taken together. Some pain killers and IV omeprazole also help. Eventually, you calm down and fall asleep.

Please take note that these are very dangerous drugs and should be taken under proper medical supervision. You may notice for example that they have the tendency to lower your blood pressure to a dangerous threshold.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.