heartburn & nausea

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi Veryone,

I have had acid reflux/Oesophagitis for many years but since a recent flare up I am waking every morning with Heartburn and Nausea has anyone else experienced this, I have never had it before.

I would value your input.

L.

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I guess just new symptoms of acid reflux. It seems that you reflux is getting worser... Why don't you try PPIs if you aren't already on them

• Posted

Hi Esic,

Yes I am already on PPI's but the symptoms have not responded as they usually do, and I am taking Gaviscon before I go to bed.

Thanks for replying

L.

• Posted

Well, then take another PPI before you go to bed or maybe for the first time try ranitidine-zantac which is a h2 blocker 150mg before bed time. Gaviscon before bed for you is too light and it doesn't do the job obvioulsy. If you have PPIs it won't hurt you if you take one in the evening as well just to see if it helps. If it does then report that to your MD. and see what he says on upping the dosage...

• Posted

What esic suggests.
  • Posted

I had been suffering for six months and tried everything. About 3 weeks ago my doctor prescribed me sucralfate. It has worked wonders. I still wake up most mornings with slight pain but nothing like it was. Give it a try
  • Posted

Yes, I recently experienced a flare up  and it was so damaging I developed sores in my upper stomach you could feel them they affected nerves and pain traveled to back, around ribs, and down flank. I started all types of ppi and h2 inhibitors but because I have a low functioning gallbladder they caused me severe GB attacks. Severe inflammation with lots of soreness. I self treated as I am a nurse and we can get drugs OTC and I have a history of GERD.  I am much better but I am going to try to get an appointment soon just to be safe. I need to have my ovaries checked out, since this flare came out of the blue after years of remission and often can be linked to other diseases. Also, it may be a dysfunctional gallbladder causing this problem, since I do suffer with that, time to get it removed.  Good luck.
    • Posted

Hi D,

Thanks for your reply, yes my flare up started out of the blue about 8 weeks ago and didn't respond to the usual PPI's to add insult to injury during that time I have been given 3 lots of antibiotics for an infection that hasn't helped matters, I suspect now I have thrush not only in my mouth an down below but in my gut as you know it can go right through, I am at a loss as to how to treat it as I am unable to have fluconazole as I have Afib and am on warfarin and the last time I had fluconazole it sent my INR sky high. I have an appointment next week with the gastroenterologist who I have been seeing on and off for many years so hopefully he will come up with something for the reflux in the mean time I think if I could treat the candida in some way would help.

good luck with all you have going on

L.

• Posted

Hi,

Have you tried Nexium? I was on it for about 2 years after taking omeprazole for nearly 10 years, I also took Ranitadine and gaviscon like it was going out of fashion.. Last June I had surgery to fix hiatus hernia and reflux, so far since I have only taken the odd Ranitadine after eating a tad too much and was bloated..

Hope you feel better soon.

Regards

Margaret

• Posted

Thanks everyone, for your replies that's why I like this forum such sound advice from you all.

Thanks again

L x

• Posted

You're now experiencing reflux.

"Acid Reflux" is actually two things: acid and reflux.

Medication reduces acid but reflux needs to be managed by lifestyle. Your meds just make it less corrosive; they don't prevent it.

Small meals, chewed well, eaten slowly, not overfilling the stomach. No exercise that will compress, tilt or shake a full stomach. Avoid tiight clothing. Leave at least 3 hours between last meal and bed, Raise head of bed by 6 inches.

If lifestyle doesn't work, you may need to consider surgery.

• Posted

Lifestyle + medication is indeed the maximum you can pull out for GERD related problems. Surgery is "permanent fix"

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.