Heartburn on Mirtzapine

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi all, I've been on Mirtazapine for nearly 3 months. Doctor increased my dose to 22.5 mg from 15mg but I started to get terrible heartburn and nausea, so we agreed to decrease back to 15mg, which I'm now on. The heartburn is still dreadful - I'm getting through half a pack of antacids a day. Of course, this might be nothing to do with Mirtazapine but whatever the cause, my throat and stomach are on fire much of the time. Any advice? Thanks!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Alison,

It might be worth having a read of the leaflet that comes in the box?  Alternatively, maybe you could go to the Pharmacy that dispensed the Mirt and have a chat with the Pharmacist?  You will be able to talk to them in private.  The only other option, will be to go back to your GP and discuss the potential side effects. 

Good luck!

• Posted

Ask doc for rantidadine its ace take it half an hr before ur tablet
    • Posted

I ment to say omeprazol dunno why i said ranitadine
  • Posted

HI ALISONSARAH,,,,IT SEEMS TO ME YOU HAVE GOT  ACID REFLUX  PROBLEM,,,i also had this,,get some OMOPRAZLE,it will clear up very quickly..........good luck,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,BLUESY
    • Posted

Agree , i had acid reflux before i went on Mirtzapine an i take Omoprazole each morning , sometimes twice a day when i feel that food is stuck going down .
    • Posted

HI MARIA,,,i also take it every day because i have a hiatus hernia it is a very good medication with no side efects,,,,,,,,,BLUESY,,,,,,,,,,,good luck
  • Posted

The fact that reducing the mirt did not help implies the problem lies elsewhere.  See your GP again.
  • Posted

Have to agree, probably acid reflux, I get it since on Mirt' - even with bread ugh ...

I spoke with my pharmacist, she said not to take anti acids at the same time as Mirt - one hour apart is what she said.  Suppose if we think about it - anti acids put a chalky lining on the stomach areas making it difficult to absorb the Mirt.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Alison...

Did your problem with the mirtazapine clear up? I have had terrible reflux since I was put on it a few months ago. Its gotta be the medication. Mine is so bad I am vomiting up acid. It's horrible and painful. Anyone else following this thread had the same problem?

• Posted

YES!!! I have this too with taking Mirtazipine. The doctor is adamant it is not connected but prescribed me omprazole to help with it. I take it with or after food to see if this makes a difference and with a full glass of water - No difference. There are no indications that this could be a side affect but maybe it was overlooked? or a newer side affect? Has anyone also had weight gain with these?

• Posted

Hi, you have to take omeprazol 1 hour before your breakfast. If you dont take it than it wont have any effect...

• Posted

I took it only for about 2 weeks. My heartburn is very bad. The doc (nurse) prescribed it. I did not take it last night but my heartburn this morning is very bad.

This nurse who functions as a doc is EXTREMELY RUDE. I saw her 3 times. NEVER AGAIN!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.