heartburn or heart problem?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I really can't decide which (if any or both) I have.

I've been prescribed omeprazole for the past year for abdominal pains, which I've taken on and off during that time (6 packets of 20mg - taking 40mg a day). Normally I'd just take two weeks' worth to clear the pains but last time I developed 24/7 pains in my abdomen, base of spine and thighs so the GP game me another 14 day course. Looking back I think the second course caused me problems - dry mouth, constipation, loose stools, malabsorbed food in stools and very dark brown stools.

Towards the end of the second course I started getting mild chest pains. Since finishing the omeprazole the chest pains have got horrendous and are getting worse, there pretty much 24/7, including my upper back, under my left armpit and often radiating down my left arm. They get much worse every evening and I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack several nights a week. They're always in the centre of the sternum or a few inches to the left. I've been to A&E three times and had the paramedics out three times.

I've read online that omeprazole rebound acid can be vicious. Just hard to know if this is the problem or my heart. I feel tired all the time and dizzy after walking sometimes that makes me think heart, but am burping a bit and having abdominal pains sometimes that makes me think heartburn. The chest pain tends to be localised to the centre and left, can be a little uncomfortable to touch. it's also best in the morning and early afternoon and worse in the evening. Can acid reflux be this bad? I've never had it before in my life (I'm 44).

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Just to add, pain doesn't get any worse if I cough, breathe deeply or bend over.

• Posted

I get pain like this so it could be related. I would suggest a chiropractor. For me part of it is stress and anxiety so I tense up. Even in my sleep I am tense. I wake up with such a pain in the middle of my chest and back and arm. I can rub the front of my shoulder in the muscle just above my arm pit and feel the tension. Deep massage helps too.
    • Posted

Thanks. I've been to an osteopath once, was thinking of going again. Probably should give a massage a go too, just to see.

• Posted

I know how you feel though. I swore for a month I was having a heart attack. It was a pitiful month. Chances are if it was your heart not only would the doctors found something but you would have had more symptoms like fatigue or weakness. It sounds like muscle spasms so a chiropractor or massage would help. 
    • Posted

Unfortunately I have got massive fatigue at the moment, I could sleep all day! Hopefully it is just a muscle spasm
  • Posted

I know anti acids take good things out of your body, do you think you could be deficient in something? That's one reason I hate taking them all the time, makes me feel weird

• Posted

It would take years for that to be a problem. I have been on my prescription for 2 years and have had no problems other than them not working any longer. I have seen some folks on here on anti acids for 10+ years.
    • Posted

That's something I've wondered, I asked my GP for vitamin B12 and magnesium blood tests that were done on Monday, I think he may have checked for a few other vitamins and minerals too.

• Posted

Strongly recommend endoscopy if you haven"t had done. Ask gastro doc to check for Coelias disease as well as reflux.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.