Heat and cold intolerance in Hypothyroidism

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hello I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism nearly 30 years ago (now nearly 71). In addition to osteoarthritis I have recently also been diagnosed with mild fibromyalgia. I do know that both Fibromyalgia and Hypothyroidism can cause problems with temperature control so I have also asked this question in the Fibromyalgia forum. Since menopause I have suffered from heat intolerance I cannot stand hot temperatures as I feel awful but worst of all I find my hair is soaking wet. I dread temperatures over around 25c and do not go outside when it is hot unless absolutely necessary. Funnily enough I am not really sweating anywhere else in the body just face and scalp. I would add that the same thing can happen even in the winter if I have been in a hot kitchen cooking. At the other end of scale I have trouble with the cold. Especially when winter turns to spring or summer into autumn. The days a bit like today nice sunny days when it is pleasant outside and my husband for example is in the garden in a t shirt. I find at these times I have short periods ( I call them attacks) of feeling very cold freezing hands s well so have to wrap myself up and get a hot water bottle. Today is one of those days in a minute I am going to sit on the sofa with hotwater bottle and blanket until I feel warm again. It does not usually last long or happen everyday. I just to seem to get times when I can't get warm.I was on 125mg of levothyroxine for many years but had it reduced to 100mg a couple of years ago as my new gp having recently moved at the time said the TSH was lower that normal. I do know there is a lot of controversy over treatment and blood test ranges. Anyone relate to any of this.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.