Heat Stress due to medication???? Please any Info!!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I’m 44 years old. Male. 6 foot. 230 lbs. 

Ok so just a bit overweight. I’ve been lazy for last year or so but have been actively walk/jogging for couple months. Plus mixing in other exercising. 

Few years ago I started on BP meds. 

Taking  propanolol  40 mg/losartan 100 mg / ampolopidine 10 mg in the morning THEN in evening take Losartan 50mg/ Propanolol 40mg. Of course this is the combo my GP cane up with after several months and several visits. 

This is where I need any help. 

I work in a uncontrolled temp factory so gets very hot in summer months. 

And I get heat stress so bad it freaks me out. Flushing/sweats/fatigue. 

I’ve worked there for twenty years and since been on these med in was started bothering to the point I dread work.  

Any suggestion. Like experiences. Anything. Thanks!

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

chad65688....Lord thunderin'!!!! You are on a HEAVY dosage of bp meds...why??? From what I read, you're taking 80 mg Propanolol/day...150 Losartan/day...& 10mg. Amlodipine. WHY so much????????

How long have you been on these meds????? 

• Posted

Although I am not employed in this heat I drink 100% more fluids. Every time I have a cup of anything I add either a cup of water or squash. If you have worked out these medications with your GP it might be worth mentioning this to him.  I estimate I drink 8-9 cups a day plus the extras. This keeps me comfortable as some of these meds act as diuretics and so you need more fluids.  I have had high BP for over 35 years and due to side effects will only take Indapamide which suits me but is diuretic.  My GP wants me to take  more but I have resisted and initially my BP was high but  the more I drank the lower it went.

Good luck. .

• Posted

sylvia23434...I see where you're coming from. Drinking plenty of liquids is a healthy habit., especially during the heat. However, it is possible to drink too much, thereby overtaxing the kidneys. 64oz /day is plenty.

• Posted

I agree it can overload my kidneys but the suggestion to double up is only when it is too hot. My cut off heat is around 28C otherwise I only drink approx 6 cups a day.
    • Posted

sylvia23434...Hello, again. I do agree, during hot weather, especially when the temperature gets to 28c or higher along with humidity, one must increase liquid intake,especially water. We lose a lot of salts, etc. when perspiring.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.