Heavily Sleep Deprived, I'm Out Of Ideas

Posted , 7 users are following.

I thought I had my sleep under control but the reality of it is that I was using cannabis on a evening to get me to sleep which unfortunately is now not an option. I was only using a small amount and wasn't smoking it either but due to me wanting a better job and starting to travel to Asia twice a year, I needed to stop. I tried quitting many times in the past but due to my poor quality of sleep in general, I always got hit with severe insomnia that lasted way longer than people had described when stopping using cannabis. This always brought me back to it for the sake of my sanity. This time however I said to myself 'enough is enough' and have stuck with it. I'm now nearly 10 weeks into it and have seen absolutely zero improvement.

To describe it, I sleep maybe twice a week if I'm lucky and get no more than 3/4 hours. Although it's not much, I feel like I can conquer the world after I have slept but the other 5/6 days a week I'm plagued with brutal headaches and frustration. I can pull myself around after a few hours as long as I stick to my routine, I've dealt with lack of sleep for many years and have a few tricks up my sleeve when it comes to the side effects of sleep deprivation. Before I would get so wound up it would bring on mild depression and excessive stress were as now I just feel down about it, like I am being robbed most days of my life.

I went to my GP many times in the past and didn't get any real help. They just wanted to feed me antidepressants to mask the real problem and seemingly to get rid of me. After 4 years I got very annoyed with one particular GP and demanded a referral to the hospital that I'd been asking for since I realized they weren't helping me. So I've been to them a few times now but they have to follow procedure and the appointments are so few and far between. They have tested me for breathing problems which is NOT the issue, I've explained this many times now. The next time I'm going it is to sit down with someone and explain the issue in detail. Unfortunately this is another month away and I'm suffering badly right now.

I have done a lot of research into sleep habits, nutrition and basically everything about sleep to help me but nothing is working. I'm willing to accept that my problem stems from 15 years of drug abuse (cannabis only) but I'm desperately seeking a cure for the damage I've done. Perhaps there is no cure? I really don't know at this point. Anyway here's what I'm doing at the moment, maybe someone can give me some advice...

Breakfast - Porridge Oats and honey + cashew nuts with a glass of water.

I work 7am - 3pm most days.

Lunch usually consists of a homemade meal including Turkey, Spring Onion, Garlic, Mushrooms and Rice. I also take a few sandwiches too using whole meal bread.

I exercise daily, not as much as I could be I guess but I go for a walk/jog before dinner and do 100+ pushups a day. I'm in good shape and have very little body fat. I consider myself as a 'healthy' person.

Evening Meal - Pasta + Pistachio Nuts with a glass of Milk. No later than 6pm and I take a Magnesium supplement.

Night Time Snack 8pm - Porridge Oats and Honey again, small glass of water with GABA and L-Tryptophan supplements to increase Serotonin production.

No TV or Phone after 8pm, I read until roughly 10pm.

As you can see I'm doing all I can but it simply is not working. Any help or advice would be great, thank you in advance.

Lee.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Unfortunately I don,t sleep, I can,t remember when I had a good night. When I was working it was a problem and affected my wellbeing greatly.  I eat healthy and have always been a good weight,ocassionally eat white meat and lots of vegetables and fruit. I don,t eat after 6pm at night only a tea at 8pm.  Now I,m retired I have accepted that things will never be any different, I sleep in fits and starts throughout the night and am awake sometimes at 5 am, mostly 6.30.  I read before I sleep at night to relax me.  My mind is very active, always full of thoughts, even when I lie awake at night.  I can,t give you advice but I mirror your comments, if I have the occasional good night I feel as if I could move the world, that is usually 7 hours of broken sleep.  Wish you luck and my best wishes, you are not alone.
  • Posted

Hello Lee,

First, I think you should congratulate youself for all the great thigns you are doing with exercise and diet. Those are VERY  important changes.

I have recenntly lost 25 pounds , do yoga and pilates and changed some patterns or eating or what I call ritual behavior. MUCH less sugar, no caffiene after 12 noon (i love coffee) in the day, no food after 830pm, no watching  the news in the evening.

BUT .....

with all that AND taking one ambien per night and a pill for pain  as I have rhuematoid arthrtics and fibromyslagia, I am a terrible sleeper. A good night for me would be sleeping 10pm-3am and not waking up. I am up several times a night.

Here is what I beleive:

1. My sleeping issues are attached to old patterns of anxiety, some depression, and future tripping as opposed to acceptance in the moment.

2. I must take 3-4 advil for pain before the night arrives.

3. Cool temperature in the bedroom.

4. Sleep in light clothing or no clothing.

5. Classicial music played vey low on radio.

One of the biggest issues for me was my adiction to oxycontin prescribed 7 year ago by my physician.  I have been off those evil pils for 4 years now but my body it stil detoxing.

Cannibis does not work for me and i have the smell or taste.

I  100% beleive my chronic sleep discorder ins ANXIETY. Suggestion:  before you go to bed write down something which you are porud of and makes you happy. Go to sleep on a positive thought. No food prior for the first night of doing this 3 hours before. 

All The Best,

Steven

Los Angeles

• Posted

Thank you Steven. I do try and stay positive as much as I can. I know I'm doing well in all other aspects of my life so that does keep me going. If I could just fix this sleep disorder I'd be a happy guy that's for sure.

I've been down the medication route before and it was nothing but bad news. I got dependent on Diazepam at one point and almost overdosed on it, haven't touched sleeping pills since. I also tried Xanax and as soon as I stopped taking it I was plagued with nightmares and heart palpitations, not nice at all.

If the Ambien isn't working for you, perhaps try and lay off them otherwise you will be taking them for the rest of your life my friend.

Thank you for your kind words.

• Posted

Lee, what magnesium supplement do you take as there are several different types and some increase energy levels?...

It could be worth trying a short course of melatonin to help get you back into a 'normal'' sleeping pattern. You can get these on prescription or buy online and they're not expensive. I know a few people, my son included, have success with these.

• Posted

The best form of magnesium for a calming effect is Magnesium Taurate.
    • Posted

Hi Lucy.

I'm taking Magnesium Glysinate but to be honest it has no effect on me. Neither does the rest of the stuff I take really but I got to try, you know?

Same goes for melatonin too although I was still using cannabis along with it so maybe it was being cancelled out. I'm growing tired of spending money on sleep aids I just seem immune to them. And I'm not touching sleeping pills again, it's just a viscous circle of dependency and withdrawals.

Thank you for your reply, I may look into the other form of magnesium you mentioned.

• Posted

I think you can download an app called "Nova Sleep Coach from Lumosity Labs" , they track your sleeping patterns and habits then make a personalized sleeping plan for you. This research lasts up to five weeks. I've just downloaded it this morning after waking up way too early and I'm not sure whether it works well, but I think it's worth a try. 

• Posted

Hello Mellie.

I'm at the hospital again soon and they are going to do more tests I believe. I honestly think I need to see a neurologist as it seems to be my brain that has been affected.

It's funny, they say 'weed is harmless'... I guess it can be if you only do it once every so often but daily usage can potentially do permanent damage to the brain, I'm living proof!

I hope you find the route of your sleep problem and fix it soon. Take care

• Posted

I feel ya Lee. I have no idea what to tell you though. But i feel ya.

It feels strange though how you stay fit with this food, lack of sleep and excessive stress...

I really feel you, maybe you should stop doing what others tell you (people, media...), rather do whatever you need or feel at the given moment or whatever moment of the day.

You seem pretty sane and strong to me, keep up

love

• Posted

Thank you Majdarina,

If it wasn't for my loving girlfriend I honestly don't know where I'd be at today. She is always very supportive and tries her heart out to help me. She is a little upset about it at the moment though as she worries about me a lot and feels like this is out of her control, which is the truth unfortunately. When I was single and coping with this I was a mess most days, always angry and even had suicidal thoughts when I'd been up for days. She keeps me sane and does things that make me happy so I have her to thank.

Eating healthy and exercising is all about routine. It doesn't work if you just do it every now and then, it has to be a way of life to make any difference. My heart rate while resting used to be in the high nineties (not good) but now is around 70 bpm which isn't bad at all.

I appreciate your compliments, they mean a lot. Thank you

• Posted

I am single. :S

good luck to me

i know about the suicidal thoughts, still coming around, sleeplessness is crazy experience. And then reaching for pills, which make it worse etc etc...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.