Heavy bleed 3 weeks after Colonoscopy procedute

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

Need some advice please to put my mind at rest. Had a Colonoscopy procedure performed on me on 21-12-17. They removed 6 polyps, one was enlarged. They also tattooed an area for future check ups. I have been told I will be require a Colonoscopy every 12 months. I am a 63 year old male with previous stomach problems. Burst duodenal ulcer, diverticular desease, section of my bowel removed, which they performed a temporary colostomy operation. Bowel cancer does run in my family. To cut to the chase I had a heavy bleed from my back passage 3 weeks after the Colonoscopy procedure. I just made it to the toilet thinking I had the runs. When wiping myself I saw blood on the paper. On looking into the bowel I saw quite a large amount of dark and bright red blood. I have had no problems other than this since the procedure. Is this normal??

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I would call my doctor right away and let them know. I had three removed, one was very large and I did notice blood for a while, but I also have active Crohn's disease, so you can't gauge it from my experience. Best bet to contact your doctor. I was supposed to go in every 18 months and I have not had one for 10 years and that is why I had such large Polyps found. Not to mention they said I am too young to have such large polyps, but again I have IBD, so that is a factor. I will go in again in two years, but I have no history of cancer in my family. If they want you to go in every year, then it may be a good idea, at least go in for a Sigmoid, that should show cancer early enough and it takes less time. That is what I did recently.

• Posted

Many thanks Craig. Will take your advice and contact my Doctor first thing in the morning. Once again many thanks
  • Posted

Please seek medical advice as soon as possible! 
    • Posted

Hi,

thank you for your concern. I did visit my GP this morning. He advised me that it is possible to lose blood after having Polyps removed. I shown my GP the photo on my phone I had taken showing the amount of blood in the toilet. His advice was to attend A&E if it happens again, especially the amount I discharged into the bowel. I have had no further problems since last night.

• Posted

I’m pleased to hear you went to the doctor. It’s always better to be safe than sorry and I hope you feel more reassured having been. Take care.
    • Posted

Many thanks for your care and advice...
  • Posted

It is normal to have some bleeding after a colonoscopy having polyps removed I had three and it bleed three days, I was told it would before leaving ,but not for three weeks, you need to check with your Doctor about this for sure, it should have stopped by now. give him a call he really needs to know about this, hope you get this resolved soon.
    • Posted

Hi,

My bleeding started 3 weeks after having the polyps removed. I had two quite heavy bleeds within the space of 6 hours approx. I didn't have continuous bleeding for 3 weeks. Many thanks for your reply.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.