Heavy bleed after colon polyp removal

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

I had a 40mm colon polyp removed one week ago . Minimal bleeding until this morning, I rushed to loo thinking I needed a bowel movement but it was a gush of bright red blood .

Also after every meal im opening my bowels .

Anyone else had simular issues.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi.

Sorry to hear about your problems. I never had heavy bleeding after my colonoscopies that you are experiencing, but one recommendation on my discharge sheet was to contact health professionals if bleeding occurs a few days after the procedure. I think it wise that you should seek some medical advice, just to be on the safe side.

Hope that helps.

• Posted

Try having half your colon removed I had a 5 cm and they could not remove that doing a colonoscopy I had my surgery done almost 2 months ago my colonoscopy was done in May 2018 happy it's all done.?

• Posted

I never had any kind of bleeding from that just dizzy and the room spinning around.
  • Posted

You need to contact the hospital or consultant who carries out the procedure. It is probably something minor like a small blood vessel that has torn (had that myself once tho not from a colonoscopy ) but you need them to check the site of the removal hasn’t become infected for any reason or that there isn’t some other cause such as a perforation. Heavy bleeding should ALWAYS ALWAYS be reported and any bleeding that doesn’t stop or improve after colonoscopy. You may become anaemic if isn’t stopped so really don’t ignore this or hope it will go away. If you can’t contact your colonoscopy unit and you are in any doubt, go to an Accident and Emergency unit. Perforation is rare but it can show days after with heavy bleeding and it can be serious if left untreated so I would strongly suggest you see someone quickly. Blood, by the way, is often called nature’s bad laxative so that might be what is making you go to the loo more.
    • Posted

Thankyou for replying

We have now called the hospital were I had my op and they said a bleed like mine is quite common and at this stage not to worry but must call them again if it happens again.

I must admit since its come out I do feel slightly better now so fingers crossed my bowels will calm down as well .

• Posted

That’s a relief! But you were absolutely right to report it. That should put your mind at rest and hopefully nothing more will happen. I had terrible stomach bleeding once (reaction to some medication) and even tho I was in hospital (for something else) I sort of didn’t quite realise what it was or mention it (it seems hard to believe now) and then I went very odd and had to have a massive transfusion so I think always play it on the safe side and it’s good you can spend the rest of the weekend not worrying. Hundred per cent check whenever anything like that happens. Hope that’s the last of it for you - you may get a small amount of trace blood afterwards because there will still be a bit there but provided it stops or decreases and becomes less and less then you should be fine. Good luck! 
    • Posted

Hi

Thanks for your kind words .

Today however did not go to plan.

I am now in hospital after haemorrhageing this afternoon . (Very scary experience)

Consultant seems to think ive got infection in removal site. ☹

• Posted

Sorry your going threw that hope you get better from that I wouldn't be all that happy with the doctor that did that colonoscopy. Get better soon ok.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.