heavy bleeding

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm 45 and I have been bleeding for almost four months periods of really heavy bleeding with large clots I have lower abdominal pain radiating from my lower back to front I do not have health insurance I'm very worried that it may be something serious can someone please tell me what this can be

3 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi, sorry to hear you have been bleeding for so long. You must see your GP who will then need to refer you for further tests. It's impossible to tell what's going on with out you being checked out properly and having a scan. Are you outside of the uk?
    • Posted

Hi Gizmo, I think she means she has had four months with heavy periods, not bleeding for four months. I am concerned about her too. I sent a long post but it is being moderated.
    • Posted

Jennifer01077 I've been bleeding nonstop for almost four months this is why I'm even more concerned
    • Posted

Annamaria, thanks for writing back and making it clear. So I read the other replies. One lady had the same situation and it was hormonal. Another lady had thyroid problems, and thought maybe it was because of that. 

Of course, if you can, gather some money together and go see a doctor. If it is thyroid problems, I don't know anything about it, except sweet potatoes? eating sweet potatoes, yams is supposed to help. But you can ask the doctor to do a thyroid check, a blood check, and an ultrasound of your uterus. Maybe you can phone ahead and ask the cost. 

But still, don't panic. At your age, it's probably hormones. Think about eating liver a lot, grape juice, anything with iron in it. And drink a lot of water. 

• Posted

Hello Annamaria,

First, I am so sorry about your situation. It is hard to be without medical insurance, and it is hard to deal with such heavy bleeding.

However, the good news is, I don't think (can't say for sure) it is not a serious medical problem. It is probably hormonally related, due to your age and approaching menopause. I don't think you need to be worried.

I had very heavy periods especially from the age of 45 to 50, with tremendous clots. It was very inconvenient in terms of working and dealing with it. I am a teacher and had to change tampons and pads between every class.

When I first read your email, I thought you said you had a period for four months, but that's not right is it? You've had heavy periods for four months.

OK, so relax, I really doubt if there is anything wrong. But you still have the problem of the heavy bleeding. It will make the iron in your blood get very low. So use iron supplements if you can afford them, and eat iron rich food. The good news is a very cheap food is very high in iron: beef liver. 

Honey, I was off medical insurance for years, so I really understand your panicky feeling. I am guessing you are living in America? So maybe you can get on Obamacare. . . I myself was off health insurance because I was so disorganized, and I was disorganized because I had depression. Once I got on meds for depression, I slowly got organized about all my finances. But I live in Japan, with national health coverage. I don't know clearly about your situation.

Certainly you can google your symptoms and get good medical information. For instance, I just googled 'heavy prolonged period period with clots' to double check, and I got the CDC website http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/blooddisorders/women/menorrhagia.html

Doctos call heavy bleeding menorrhagia. I wanted to double check my own knowledge, and whether it was worth it for you to have a doctor's check. 

You probably don't need to, and the doctors probably can't find out specifically what's causing the bleeding. You probably have uterine fibroids, but almost half of women do have them. You have two hormones that control the period cycle, estrogen and progesterone, and during perimenopause (the time around menopause) they are falling. If the progesterone falls faster than the estrogen, you will get heavier periods. It is not uncommon.

If it becomes too much to handle, you can two things, as far as I know: you can go on the Pill (which I think you can get at a free clinic in some places) or you can take tranxemic acid, which I think you'd need a prescription for. If you are near the Mexican border, you might be able to find it over the counter in Mexico. Of course I am not a doctor, and I can't say with complete authority. 

I feel for you, hon. But I am sure you can handle this. Our ancestors did!!

Best wishes to you.

• Posted

Anamaria, I sent you a detailed reply. It is being moderated because I included a website. I think it will be posted tomorrow. I gave you my sympathy, and that I think you don't need to worry, it is probably a normal hormonal occurence (often happens to women this age, and it happened to me). I gave some suggestions. I just want to send this note to relieve your feelings.
  • Posted

Anamaria, so sorry first of all,  like Gizmo below...it would be in advisable to speculate as there are so many things this could be Hun.

You really need to see a doctor and sooner rather than later sweetie, bleeding as you are is exhausting......and I hate to think what your Iron levels are....but you can't just randomly self treat this.... Fibroids, Hormone imbalance springs to mind......but without a proper examination there is no way to know..

if you have no health insurance, there are schemes in all countries where you need it so that you CAN see a doctor and get help.....please do this for yourself Anamaria, and hopefully be better soon.

All the very best to you. 

M 💕

• Posted

I once had the same problem, and it turned out to be a hormone imbalance. I went to a gynocologist and had a D&C done but he put me on a birth control pill that straightened me out.  But don't go off of them, as I got pregnant right off the bat when I did.  It would help you so much to go see a gynocologist.  

• Posted

Hello anamaria I'm sorry for what you are going through. About 2 yes ago I went through the same exact thing. Went to gyno had pap and ultra sound done they found nothing. I was excited about taking birth control for 2 months but I felt relieved. Mine was so bad I thought I was gonna bleed to death. It cause me to have low iron had to have one blood transfusion. About 1 year ago I found out I have an under active thyroid and thinking back that could have very well caused that issue. Thyroid can mess your body up in so many was I never realized that until I experienced it. Good luck to you keep us posted. smile
  • Posted

Yes I agree please don't painc it will just make systoms worse, at are age hormonal change can drive a woman crazy!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.