Heavy bleeding 7 months after UFE

Posted , 32 users are following.

Why??? UFE done September 2017 . Nov 17 ist period normal . second one Feb 2018 .also normal . but this one "holy molly" flash back from pte UFE , pelvic pail left side, bleeding to death it feels like and blood clots big ones, I thought I was in the clear until 4 days ago. I don't know why this is happening. I haven't gone in for my post MRI. My insurance sucks, so I was putting it off, also I was feeling great. Going to make appt tomorrow need to get more meds also, back to motrin 800 and some nor- cos . Sex life affected again 😕 ... Anyone else ???

1 like, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

My cycle was mild only 3 days and minimum pain until after my UFE!!!!!

I think my situation is very different than anyone I have read so far. All my life I had very mild cycles, 3 days a max of bleeding and mild pain on my right side until February 2020. February 2020 my cycle became extreme with heavy flow and large blood clots. I bleed from Feb to June non stop. My gynecologist discovered polyps and said my fibroids have grown since 10 years ago. Once my cycle stopped in June, my gyne did a biopsy, removed the polyps and my cycle stopped. I was not going to go through with the UFE because I felt like from my research the poly could also be the cause of this sudden non stop bleeding. My gyne suggested I continue with the UFE because I had 5 fibroids and they had grown. Against my better judgement, I proceeded with the UFE. I was in extreme pain for 2.5 weeks and I immediately had my cycle. It took me 4 weeks to recover. It finally stopped but I would wipe and saw blood but no blood would flow down until a month later and nothing has changed. I mentioned this to my Dr and he assured me that the larger fibroid 5 cmm and the Adenomyosis on the right side of my Uterus is causing the bleeding and back pain. I'm back to flowing none stop. NOW I'm anemic. I have my three month check up in a few weeks. What are some things you have taken to stop the bleeding? ANY HELP and SUGGESTIONS are welcomed

• Edited

Hello.. So how are you feeling now? Hope your doing much better now than last time. 🙏🏼

I just got the ufe done a week ago. Unfortunately my cycle came a week early so on top of the cramps im bleeding so much.. Worse than before ufe.. As soon as I sit on the toilet to pee blood is coming out first instead of urine.. With clots and more clots. Omg Im praying its just the 1st cycle after ufe that's the heaviest because I don't think I can deal with this bleeding anymore.. Im anemic and scared that I will now need a blood transfusion than the iron Infusion I usually was getting before the ufe! Omg this is so stressful.. I have the 1st post appointment this week.. Not sure what they will check for.. But hope this heavy bleeding is just from the fibroids dying and flow is fluctuating 🙏🏼

• Posted

Hello,

I hope someone helps me to find answers...

I am 44 y.o. I had my UFE in February 2020. After the procedure, I had so much discharge for about 4-5 months. No periods after UFE. Then, in October, 2020, I had a very light period ( 1-2 days). I did not have periods since then, and I am so worried.

From what I read, everybody gets their periods afterword, and I am not. Does this mean that I enter menopause? Will my periods come back?? Please someone answer!

I wish I would never had this done! My gyno insisted, and I trusted him....

Please help!!!!!!!

• Posted

Hi there, I also gad my ufe 2 months ago. I've had one period and continue to have pain every day. For past few weeks pain has been moderate and bearable as long as i take painkillers, use hot water bottle and don't move about too much.

Suzana18 my radiologist and gyno both told me prior to the procedure that i may still experience heavy bleeding afterwards or i may not have a period at all for up to 6 months. i hope this helps you but its very annoying that when reading through these comments we are all being told different things! i was not told about the level of pain i could experience for weeks after the procedure! it's all a constant worry and a waiting game to see how my womb will respond next! feel like my life is on hold dealing with this physically and mentally.

• Posted

Hi Fran1977,

Thank you for the response, and sorry to hear about your discomfort.

I posted on here about a month ago, and was unable to login ever since! What a confusing site format! Very inconvenient!!!!

I was officially diagnosed with menopause after UFE . My FSH is 50, and AMH 0.01. My last period ( or rather spotting while wipe) was in September or October/2020 and nothing after that. My gynecologist literally forced me to have a UFE for only 1 fibroid that he left out during myomectomy. He knew that I wanted to have children, yet, he insisted on UFE saying that "everything will be fine". First, he prescribed Fibristal twice, and then -- Lupron injection 30mg, and finally -- UFE ( which stopped my ovaries forever!). I am in despair! I am extremely upset . I will be suing the surgeon and the hospital. They MUST be held accountable for their "actions"!

Meanwhile, I still try to do everything in my power to kickstart the ovaries: brisk walking 3-4 times per week ( about 5-7km a day), drinking 2L. of water, taking omega, coq10, vit3, massaging my whole body with the brush for improving blood flow to ovaries, eating good.......and praying.

If anybody have any advice or suggestion, I would be very happy to hear from you. I need help. I have never been this broken. Every aspect of my life is at its worst right now. Agreeing to UFE was the biggest mistake of my life. I wish I would never done it! I wish I could go back in time and change everything. I lost purpose and my life is falling apart.

From what I read, women get their periods within a year after UFE, and for me it has been 17 months.

PS. I was also in too much pain post UFE for almost10-12 days, and after that -- discomfort for about 6 months. Now I feel that my legs and feet are numb, and I think it is because impaired blood flow after UFE. Also, constant headaches after Lupron. I really cant take this anymore.

• Edited

Hi ladies, I had my UFE done 7 months ago due to 2 large fibroids, I've always had heavy periods since i was 10 years old. now at 47 with always being anemic and developing thyroid problems. i thought this was the solution but I have been bleeding almost everyday since the procedure. I am so fed up and my gynecologist thinks nothing of it other than suggesting 2 months ago to schedule full hysteroctomy . not finding much on the web than by 6 months the bleeding such stop but referring to what periods? . but, I am bleeding everday half the month its really heavy still changing eveey hour than its goes from spotting to medium flow. I am exhausted. what is going? tell me there is hope, but i don't understand why im bleeding all time since the UFE. I thought by now things would get better and stablize.

please share if you had the same experience in hopes that this nightmare is coming to an ends.

• Posted

I just had UFE on May 12, 2022. The biggest surprise was how much pain i was in afteword and the length of time it took me to recover. I was led to believe by my gynecologist and the radiologist that recovery time was a couple of days when in fact I had to extend my leave from work because of the pain of the procedure. Now that I am a month out I do feel a lot better I can see that my stomach has started to go down because I used to look like I was three months pregnant and I had pressure on my pelvis near my bladder. My first period after the procedure was painful and heavy and my back hurt a lot. I am feeling a lot better and reading the comments have a little apprehension about what the long-term effects will look like I hope that those who have had the procedure many years ago are seeing success now and I hope that people will continue to post updates

• Posted

Procedure done in July, first period right after heavy, the next two significantly shorter, less bloody, and almost no pain at all. In Nov I had differend kind of surgery that required me to be under anesthesia for 9 hrs, they sent me home with 2 kinds of antibiotics. The period I got a week after was very heavy, but the pain was the worst I ever had during any kind of period, I wouldn't survive without narcotic painkillers. What is going on? Will that change?

• Posted

Hi Maria, can you pls. share your experince with UFE , its been 4 years you got your UFE, i had done UFE a month back for a fibroid with 6 cm , 2nd period has been so bad , i am bleeding like hell, i am feeling so depressed i took a decision to go for UFE, i am not sure how many months or years i need to go through this pain, pls. reply

• Posted

Hello all,

About a year ago I had an embolization done due to a number of fibroids. My geneacologist has not wanted to make a new MRI scan so far. The first two months I had very heavy periods. Then very light for a few months. I always had very regular periods. Four months ago, suddenly not anymore. In recent months I have suddenly had very heavy periods with clots and they last about 10 to 12 days.

my geneacologist says that the fibroids only shrink for six months. I read other posts about this. Should I be concerned or could it also be that the fibroids are breaking down?

I hope you can reassure me based on your experiences. Greetings Gab

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.