Heavy bleeding

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all,

I skipped almost a month and a half before I had this period. It has been very scary! I am bleeding very heavily, filling overnight pads every hour. I am also soaking through clothes. Plus, having huge clots. Sorry if too much information. I don't know if it is because I skipped a period or what. It is making me nervous that I will bleed to death. Does anyone else suffer with this?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Edited

yes!!!I do and its scary. You've just described me to a T. I feel your pain x

• Edited

Sorry you are dealing with this too! I keep hoping I won't have any more, but no luck so far. I am starting to skip a few. I don't mind that at all.

• Posted

I have had very heavy periods before especially if the month before was lighter.I cant say I filled an overnight pad each hour, but big clots I have had those.How many days have you had this? I get two heavy days in my cycle.Have your irons level checked, ironically, low iron can cause heavy periods.

• Posted

This is the first full heavy day. I am hoping it slows down by tomorrow. Usually, my periods last 3 days at most. This one is terrible.

• Posted

Rebecca,

Yes! I have definitely had this problem. I am 49 and have been in peri for about 6 years now. Over the last few years my periods have been getting further apart, but before that began, I would have very heavy periods with clots (for years my cycles were always every 24 days and only lasted about 5-6 days with normal levels of bleeding--so this change in bleeding was very alarming to me). It was terrible. I couldn't go anywhere for fear of bleeding through my clothing. I felt weak and tired. I had a couple of periods that lasted about 21 days with that heavy bleeding. As a result, I had to take oral iron and then had to have IV iron every week for a month. My doctor did some hormone testing and found that my estrogen and progesterone was so low, it was almost non-existent. My doctor recommended Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy. I have been on it for about a year and my symptoms have improved greatly. I know BHRT is not for everyone, but it has made a huge difference in my daily ability to function.

I am sorry you are going through this. You are not alone. I hope you are feeling better soon!

• Posted

Wow, I am sorry to hear about what you have been through. I get very anemic as well. I tried the iron infusion but had a reaction to it. Now I just take oral iron. I hope this goes away quickly because it is scary!

• Posted

Rebecca..my mom had clinically low iron (unrelated to menopause) and had several infusions. They also prescribed her pills, but they made me sick. Then, she tried a certain brand and it was a life saver and her levels improved. I am going to make a second post below this one, just in case I am not supposed to post brand of vitamin. This way if you are interested, you could message me.

• Posted

MegaFood Blood Builder is what my mom took...all iron pills made her sick. They have maintained her iron levels and she hasn't need an infusion since. Feel free to do your own research as this was just her experience.

• Posted

Yes to heavy periods and soaking thru.. it's a mess I know.. Make sure you take iron and eat iron rich foods. Dr told me on my heavy days, it's ok to take one in the morning and one at night. Those super plus Tampons are scary but last night I had to use them and a pad so I could get some sleep. I used to have HUGE clots but now I think they are back to normal whatever that is. Hopefully it will be over soon!

• Posted

Thanks for your reply! It has eased off somewhat today. I am very thankful! I don't think I have ever lost that much blood in one day. This is a chapter in my life I would like to skip.

• Edited

Yes, every month for the past 2+ years. I haven't skipped a period yet. Make sure you drink extra fluids. I hate it, but I drink Gatorade during my periods.

• Posted

I really can't stand much more of this! It is making life miserable right now! Just wish it would end.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.