Heavy bleeding after lying down

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have recently been getting much heavier bleeding. I can go all day with nothing then if I have a lie down when I get up I can have a heavy bleed.

I am 52 in peri still regular long periods. Dr has put me on Provera but won't see him for a couple of weeks. Then may give me a Mirena again (I expelled the last one).

Any ideas about why I can bleed after lying down after it has happened I have nothing. Obviously, this can be bothersome at night as sometimes have to rush to the loo in the middle of the night - so getting broken sleep.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Debs

yes when you lie down the blood stays in the vagina and builds up, then when you stand it floods out ..

jay x

• Posted

Debs

when i had depo Provera injection every 3 months ( age 39) it made me bleed for 21 months, with no break, then straight into peri, i only had two injections, sent me into turmoil, ... 

there is no set age for peri or post meno we are all different, some very very early some alot later in life, just because a person is in their 50's or age 50 doesnt mean she should be automatically post menopause .,

its also down to how early or later periods began and how many eggs we are born with, and when they have all gone, don't worry there is no set age ..

jay x

• Posted

I had the flooding for several years in peri (but i didn't realise at the time this was why) but I had the opposite...at the start and end of every period I would find that when I was in bed at night the flow would be almost non-existent...then when I got up and started the day, the flow would come back with a vengeance. So on those occasions it didn't disturb my sleep, technically, but the uncertainty of whether I was going to have a flooded bed or one of those no-blood nights, used to disturb my sleep a bit at times.
  • Posted

Hi deborah

You are 52 and still having periods I am 46 and in post menopause it could be the provera doing this to you i thought in your 50 you are done with periods for good 

Talk to your doctor about going off the provera 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.