Heavy bleeding and progesterone

Posted , 4 users are following.

Can anyone tell me how long it is safe to take progesterone tablets for? I am talking about months, years, the rest of my menstruating life?  

I have just been put on 200mg, every night, for 10 days, for heavy bleeding.  This has been going on since i was 14.  My endometrial lining is very thick so I had a D&C in October and the bleeding returned, much much worse in December. The progest has helped with the bleeding this month but the cramps are terrible.

I am only 36 and I do not want to be on progest until menopause!  Do they only give it for so long? Will the lining grow thick again if i stop taking it? I don't want to take tablets for a very long time.

I'm exhausted in in pain.

Thanks in advance!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi. Curious. Have you ever been told if you have endrometriosis or endrometrium hyperplasia?

Besides the point. The progestrone pills aren't as effective because they travel through your blood streem first before getting to the target area. And yes the lining will grow back when you stop the pills. If you're not actively trying to get pregnant I'd highly reccommend the mirena iud. It's progestrone based works for 5 years directly in your uterus. It thins the lining significantly. It can even stop your periods. It takes a while to kick in but it is very effective. Good luck. Keep me posted.

• Posted

Thanks for that.

They said I didn't have hyperplasia but they may suspect endometriosis.

I wasn't keen on the Mirena, though I have not had it, as I just don't like the thought of it.

Do they allow you to take progesterone tablets on a long term basis?

I have completed my family so that is not an issue and would be happy for an ablation or hysterectomy.

Thanks so much

• Posted

I think they may make you take breaks from progestrone pills. But if you're not keen on the mirena then yes an ablasion would work. A hysterectomy would be your best bet. Good luck
  • Posted

I think combination pills(estrogen and progestrone) are better than progesterone only pills. And taking pills for long term is not good.

Better change your doctor.

• Posted

Hi there,

I produce too much Estrogen, which is why she is trying to balance it out with the progesterone. This is what causes the thickening of the lining.

She is fantastic consultant and the only one who has actually done anything and got this far. I do trust her, I was just wondering if progesterone was a long term solution, or if you only take it for so long.

Thanks for responding

• Posted

Yes stay away from the combination pills. You do Not need any more estrogen in your body. I hope the pills help.
  • Posted

ive been on utolvan / norithesone whoich is a prostegen tablet since last June. They want me to have the coil but dont really want that. I have another appt with my consultant next month so see whatthey say then
    • Posted

I hope your appointment goes well and you get the solution you need.

I go on Saturday and am hoping we can move forward with a permanent solution, as it is just taking over my life!

• Posted

good luck, let us know what happens and what they say about staying on the prostegen, I am interested to see what other consultants say

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.