Heavy bleeding Dr suggests Hysterectomy

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi  I'm 33 and had heavy bleeding for quite some time.

My Dr has tried giving me medication to slow it down which worked at first but for months now its not done anything.

I am constantly bleeding and bleeding a lot.

I went back to my Dr a few weeks ago and she said she would refer me to see a gynaecologist, for scans and bloods taken.

I have my first appointment july 31st and my bloods this thursday.

I am always anemic when i have bloods done but thats all bloods have ever shown up.

My Dr said i probably need a hysterectomy.

This has completely freaked me out.

Although i have 6 children i am still young.

What can i expect at the first appointment?

will they even do a hysterectomy on me as i am overweight im a uk size 24.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Hammy 1985. 

I’m so sorry that you are going through this. I had the same discussion with my physician 25 years at the age of 30. Issues with heavy bleeding during menstrual cycle  as well as length of each cycle. March of 2018, I underwent hysterectomy. I refused 30 years ago. During that time I developed numerous fibroids leading to other medical issues. My advice it to listen to your doctors. They will advise with questions in regards to your weight. 

I’m sending you a big 🤗 hug. 

Keep us postedbiggrin)🤗🤗🤗

• Posted

Thank you for your lovely reply and hugs too!

Right back at you (((((HUGS))))))

• Posted

Hi had heavy bleeding for nearly 3 years before they gave me a hysterectomy they tried different things first like tablets to stop the bleeding even a womb abrasion in the end it was my last resort I'm the same size as you and about 10 years older they were able to do it turns out I had endometriosis so don't worry and listen to the doctor . The first appointment they go through everything that you probably already discussed with your doctor and what you have tried.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply.

I was so worried my size would prevent me from getting help.

I've tried medication a number of times and its not working.

I just want some end to the pain and discomfort.

The 31st of july seems like forever right now.

The waiting seems to be the worse bit.

• Posted

I am not going to lie to you my recovery hasn't been good due to some part unhelpful family and suddenly hitting menopause but too wake up not be bleeding no cramps being able to do things not worrying about having pads and what not with me all the time I used to feel really dirty and just horrible and not having that feeling out ways the surgery the recovery.

• Posted

Thats exactly how i feel all the time.

Unclean and uncomfortable.

right now the pain is awful.

I'm so fed up.

I hope i get to your point soon where its all been worth it and i can be free of the bleeding. 

• Posted

You will just don't let docter fob you off you know how you feel and your body better than anyone, my kept saying try this then that, then you have to wait to see if it works , then wait for another appointment but there is an end I hope everything is sorted for you soon .

• Posted

Thank you smile

I really hope i am not fobbed off, i cant carry on like this.

went for a walk earlier today as the flow seemed to ease off, bad idea i'm paying for it now.

• Posted

Hi, I am too overweight and I had a full hysterectomy in November. I was under a gyna for 4 years, trying different meds etc, I had a very large fibroid (4.5kgs) which was causing me no end of problems. In the end they agreed my only option was to remove the fibroid and do a full hysterectomy. I have never felt so well in a very long time. My gyna was amazing, although I did initially see someone else first and took an instant disliking to her. But my second one was unbelievabley caring, helpful and always had time for me.

Good luck x

• Posted

Did you choose to not have the surgery for 4 years or did they make you try everything else first?

I dont want to waste more years like it, my children are age from 16-5 and im missing out on doing so much with them because everytime i go out i come home full of blood.

In manchester our local nhs hospital appointments were saying 29 weeks before a appointment, then they offered appointments at a local private hospital who also do work for the nhs at the end of this month.

so at least im not waiting for 29 weeks to be seen.

but these next 3 weeks are going to seem like forever and a day. x

• Posted

I was fobed off for 2 years under the original gyna. I went to my doctor and asked for a referral to a different hospital. The 2nd gyna was fantastic.

If your not happy with what they say ask for a different gyna, don't suffer any longer than need be

• Posted

Thank you Jacqueline78405

i dont want to live another day like this, i really hope at that first appointment they see ive suffered long enough as it is.

I'm a busy mum of 7 i need a solution to the problem not more medication ect.

The wait at all the other local nhs hospital where in live in manchester was around 29 weeks!

So i opted for the local private hosp who take on nhs work also.

hope this means ill be treated better by Ramsey health care.

feel so low today. 

• Posted

I had my op at Wythenshawe hospital, I was initially seen at Withington but got refered to wythenshawe. I hope you get sorted soon as I felt so much better even the day after my op. I had to sleep sat up in an arm chair for 2 years because the weight of the fibroid was pushing on my spine and causing even more pain. Felt so good to be able to lie down again!
    • Posted

Thats awful you suffered for years like that sad 

I like Wythenshawe Hospital, i had one of my daughters there.

I suppose ill feel better once i know what im dealing with.

• Posted

Really sorry your going through this- I'm 35 and was exactly the same... heavy bleeding to the point of wearing a tampon, with a sanitary pad as well and having to change every 45 mins! I went to the doctors continuously and they finally referred me to a gaynecoligist.... I suffered with cysts since age 16 and had 3 ops to remove them, but always kept coming back.  I went and asked to get my ovary removed to see if it would help with the bleeding problems (the ovary also had more large cysts that needed removed again)  after months of complaining with horrible pain and bleeding so heavy, bleeding would last at least 2 weeks at a time... they finally agreed to remove the ovary.

After removal I noticed a big change, no pain, bleeding a lot lighter! Maybe looking into getting a ovary removed might be a option for you? 

In my case 5 weeks after surgery they discovered stage 1 cancer in the ovary that was removed and I then had to go get a full hysterectomy as the ovary was removed in pieces and they were concerned the cancer cells may have drifted into the womb and surrounding areas  (5 weeks post op now) 

Hope you get looked after properly and sorted out! I feel great after the hysterectomy and am now on hrt that seems to be working great so far, early days but hoping it continues! Xx 

• Posted

Did they do tests and scans at your first app and did they sell you what was wrong at the app too?

so glad you have a happy ending, i hope i get that one day too. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.