Heavy Breathing and foaming/spit during sleep

Posted , 3 users are following.

My son has been concerned bc he has walked in while I? was sleeping and I? was breathing almost violently and also spit foam coming out my mouth. Since then I’ve asked him to check each night to see if it’s every night and it is. I? have a video and it’s frightening. What could be happening? 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

How old are you?

Whats your BMI?

Do you mouth breathe at night?

• Posted

35, obese not sure BMI but 330 at 5’7”. 

Watching the 3 consecutive videos, I seem to do a mixture 

• Posted

Hi Kim,

Kudos for being honest about your weight! I'm afraid 330lb for 5'7" gives a BMI of 51.8, which puts you in the high-risk category. Your sleep problem is almost certainly down to obstructive sleep apnoea, or at least partial respiratory obstruction.

I realise you can get stuck in the loop of being physically unable to exercise at this level of obesity, and therefore putting on even more weight, but you do need to seek professional help. I'm guessing from the way you expressed your weight (pounds instead of stones or kilos) that you're in the US, and I know not everyone has easy access to medical treatment there. However, one way or another, you need to start urgently addressing your weight, as this is putting you in danger of all kinds of diseases.

In some countries you'd be eligible for bariatric surgery (e.g. gastric band or bypass) but if this isn't possible, I'm wondering whether there are self-help groups in your area that you could contact. If you could make a start on reducing your weight, this would help your breathing problems in the night.

• Posted

I second what Lily said. You likely have Partial Upper Airway Obstruction, maybe even OSA.

This is due to your weight and losing weight is the only way to cure this.

Have you ever tried the drug Orlistat?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.