Heavy bruising and pain after getting blood drawn

Posted , 5 users are following.

10 days ago, I got blood drawn as part of my annual checkup. I got the usual bruising afterwords, but it was a bit more painful than when I had gotten blood drawn in the past. It has been 10 days and the bruising still has not subsided. In addition, I lightly bumped my elbow the other day (same arm blood was drawn from), and felt a great deal of pain from a bump that I wouldn't have ordinarily had any pain from. Only note from my appointment that I can seemingly relate to these symptoms was low blood pressure (90 something over 60 something).

I've tried to attach a picture but am unsure whether or not it will make it through. The yellow skin is from the blood draw bruising, and the red skin was from where I hit my elbow. This picture is from today, 10 days after the date I got blood drawn.

Any advice/commentary is appreciated. image

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Bruises can take 2 weeks to fade and I can see by the colour in your photo that your body is dealing with it efficiently. Perhaps you knocked your Humerus/funny bone, which can be very painful.

Your blood pressure however does seem quite low. Do you drink enough fluid during the day? Have you had the results of your blood tests?

• Posted

I agree with marina bruises at the site want be a problem and all phlebotomists are not the same, some can be experts and leave no sign and others are heavy handed and can leave a bruise that will last a couple of weeks

As for banging your elbow and it being red that definitely want have anything to do with the blood test

As for your low blood pressure was the taker concerned and what did they suggest

• Posted

Thanks everyone. As mentioned, I've bruised from getting blood drawn before, but never had it last more than a week. Only reason I was concerned. No comment from the doctor on low blood pressure, but I thought it was likely the only relevant test result to this injury

• Posted

Hiya...ouch...Ask your doctor is there a reason for this and show him the printed report which you should have from the lab where you were tested...

• Posted

I've had plenty of blown veins (they accidentally pop the vein during the blood test). It can take weeks for the bruise to fade. Bruises in general can take quite a few weeks. Looks like you bruised your funny bone too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.