Heavy chest?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Is it just me or has anybody had a “heavy chest” feeling when taking citalopram? & I’m not talking about fast racing heart, just super heavy and almost hard to breathe? 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I started getting a feeling on someone is sitting on my chest 12 months after starting these meds.

I also get rib/sterum tenderness with it. It started after a cough this February! When it hurts or Stressed i breath higher in my chest which may cause this horrid feeling?

Another anxiety symptom i think after blood test, asthma test and chest x ray all clear.

Its a horrid circle, the more u think about it the worse it gets. Mine is better in the morning when I wake.

Hope this helps a little 

x

• Posted

That’s how it feels. It feels like someone is sitting on my chest. & feel like I’m slowly breathing. I’m only on week 3 too rolleyes I get blood test results tomorrow so pray that they come out clear and okay. I never felt this before. 

• Posted

usually, the heavyness is caused by anxiety, which causes increased muscle tension. it can happen anywhere in the body, but usually applies to what are called involuntary muscles, ie those we do not normally have direct control over. for some people its the stomach, back, kneck, or chest. before i took up yoga, i had the tension in my chest, after 6 months of yoga, it moved to my soft palate, gums and nose. when i get anxious, its these areas now, that get tense every time, not anywhere else. its usually an indication that you are more stressed and anxious than usual.
    • Posted

Thank you. Yeah it’s not everyday I feel like this only when I’ve been getting headaches, or when I’m worried but I’ve been super worried about getting some test results back so maybe that’s why? I hope. Everyone keeps telling me to exercise but it is so hard because I am so weak and my body hurts so bad.. sad
    • Posted

Think Nigel is right. I used to get headaches with next pain. Sorted that and now it’s gine to my chest.

It is a horrid feeling, u are not alone feeling this. 

We are told to accept these feelings but it is hard for most of us as we worry it could be something else going on.

• Posted

most of the time its your anxiety tighgening certain muscles, that causes the heavyness and pain, and its usually the muscles that you dont consciously use. when your anxiety drops, the heavyness and tightness drop.
  • Posted

Have you just started taking it? if not, did you feel this immediately or has it come on out of the blue?  Either way, its worth going to your doctors to check your breathing, and to make them aware in case it is citalopram thats caused it.
    • Posted

It’s my 3rd week being on it.. I’ve only felt this maybe two other times before once I bumped up to 20mg.. got doc appt tomorrow will ask her about it. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.