Heavy drinker and AF

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm 34 and have just had an AF episode, woke up and my heart was going from 140bpm and then down to 40bpm

Went into hospital obviously had the usual meds to calm it down which worked and was released with bisprol 

Took the bisprol for about 2 days and it really really gave me issues, hallucinations, suicide thoughts, the feeling of wanting to run away, it was crazy.. I've had a good life socially I've pretty much done every social drug, not on a massive scale and this stopped when I was about 22. I Think I've got a fairly strong mind but I couldn't handle bisprol 

Doctors agreed and took me off them this was back in November

Everything has been fine, I've had a 24 hr holter done which showed nothing wrong with the way my heart beats 

Think Im wondering is why my heart beats heavy, it beats so hard sometimes and scares me lots, normal resting bpm is between 57-70

I don't drink any more, but I used to drink pretty heavy but since April I Havnt had a drop, no caffeine since March 

Why does my heartbeat heavy? 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I agree 'Bisoprolol' is difficult to take. Depression is on the side effects list and extreme fatigue and nightmares. I don't know why you had this episode but in young people they call it 'holiday heart syndrome' caused by binge drinking and smoking but goes back to normal once the behaviour stops. Don't take any cocaine whatever you do. If it was a one off you are lucky. I have 'Persistant AF' having 'ablation' in new year. It could be 'ectopic beats'.

Are you anxious?

• Posted

Cocaine no defiantly not, been there and got the t shirt, Havnt touched anything like that for years and years 
  • Posted

Does heavy mean fast?,i think your mistaking heavy for fast,like if you were exercising . While AFIB has some health risks associated with it,the AFIB itself will not kill you and this is very important for peace of mind.It could be associated with your diet,or hereditary and if it becomes more frequent you may need to hafve an abaltion with would have a very high success rate in your case.I have been in chronic AFIB for 25 years and live with it without any restrictions.
    • Posted

I do a fair bit of biking and have a heart rate monitor so stick it on sometimes just to see what's going on

Bpm is fine just feels heavy like I can feel it in my mouth or like my heart is going to come out of my chestsad

I'm glad your AF hasn't shown up for us a long time, that's reassuring for me

• Posted

I am in AFib 24/7 for the last 25 years.I have had 2 failed abalations,2004/2006 .I am a very active 53 y/o male who plays 2 man beach volleyball against kids half my age.25 years ago it was rare for someone my age to have AFIB and the treatments were very limited.The heart as you know is a muscle and likes to work on muscle memory,which means the longer you are in AFIB the less chance that an abalation will work.You are in a very favorable positon to correct your bouts with AFIB if they do decide to show again,because an abalation would have a 90-95% chance of cure in your situation.I do remember when I went into aFIB for the 1st time and it is the same as you explain. Don't worry about it,eat properly and you will be fine.
  • Posted

Should have said after I stopped drinking I had really bad withdrawal symptoms 

This has left me with panic attacks, usually in the evening after a meal or watching TV 

I also do a fair bit of mountain biking normally between 30-70 miles a week, if I really go for it it can bring on a panic attack

A panic attack consists of a fast (regular) heartbeat, sweats, feelings of not being in control, anxiety, feeling anxious, worried 

Once it starts its a pretty bad thing to stop because my head is saying its AF again, max concentration a change of scenery and it will pass without the need for meds (been prescribed 2mg Valium to take as and when I need) havnt had any since August 

Think is what ever I've got it's mega confusing is it AF coming and going or is it anxiety/depression

I have a stressful job, I own my own company selling parts for vw camper vans, we used to convert vans into campers but after the AF eppisode and being told to relax and get rid of some of the stress we havnt converted any vans, the stress is still there but much less

• Posted

Hi tidy will, I'm new to this myself but looking back ive had episodes since 2008! I was prescribed bisoprolol back then had terrible hallucinations too. This time I've been prescribed diltiazem and so far so good, bit dizzy but no loss of sleep or nightmares. 
    • Posted

Hi there, I'm just wondering if your hallucinations were a bit like deja vous and old memories flooding back, I am on 7.5 mg, bisoporol for af, which started after an operation for a leaking valve, the dr. wants me to take 10mg, but i feel i'm struggling on 7.5mg, also have had dizziness, blurred vision, and feel very down,
    • Posted

I cant think of how to describe them other than I had them mostly at night after I'd fallen asleep I'd awaken with such a shock and swore there were people, shapes, 'things' In the bedroom, I also had panics that I couldn't find the bedroom door so I was locked in, it was an awful time sad
    • Posted

that sounds terrible. definately worse than what i am experiencing, good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.